Any HiFi equipment sound similar to YBA sonics ?

may i humbly seek advices from experienced audiogon menbers whom knows of ANY hifi equipment (CDP, preamp/amp) that share similar characteristics to YBA ? perhaps 85% to 90+% closeness in airyness and its laidback uncompress open soundstage. any input would be deeply appreciated. i tried audition few brands but sadly none. Currently their YBA Passion & lower series do not really have sonic as impressive as former YBA Classic series. Thanks again.
-phil
philipwu
Philip,

What's your main speakers by the way? For sources, would you be willing to fore-go CD players instead go for the DACs such as from Linn, Weiss, PS Audio, Berkeley, Ayre, DCS ....to name a few. I'm not as experienced as most seasoned audiophiles here, but I think these are some of the best digital sources available in the market.

I heard the Pass XP30 last year, for SS, I really like it and IMO this would compete with the very best out there including tube based ones in terms of transparency and straight wire concept (no coloration). But I would leave the preamp option last, instead try the DACs directly feeding the amps first as most comes with variable output and see if it matches well with your system. Most audiophiles experience thinness when fed directly. But depending on the I/O impedances b/w DAC and amps, type of speakers and ancillary equipments, one can be a rewarding experience.

Best,
just upgraded from ML Vantage to Spire. these are fast & revealing speakers. i have not heard any DACs before, but if any can sound similar to YBA classic, that would be best!
i'm using MIT cables, compared to that $4000 Siltech RCA interconnect, which is extremely good, i still prefer MIT. i had A/B them in a $50000 Spectral electronic & Avalon system, so i believe what i hear is their true sound. i suggest anyone whom love jazz using Naim system to give Siltech a try.
can you suggest any DAC that sound laidback & airy & smooth relax highs? BTW, is it extremely rare to find DACs with balance adjustments as compare to preamps? my budget is not high, maybe the farthest i go for DAC or Pre is 10-11k, still need to get YBA amp or Electrocompaniet amp though.
thanks,
Philip, I have no experience with your particular speakers except some of the older model hybrids and the Summit. I would assume they're still difficult to drive speakers as are with the other ML models. I still have and kept my first generation CLS and remain as a reference. Tube components are great with them in most cases which you probably may have tried as well as some of the newer SS amps. I've heard Spectron amps and they sound great with panels too.

For DACs: Linn, Weiss, PS Audio, Berkeley, Ayre, DCS would most likely have most of the attributes you're looking for. Great extension across the band, airy(low noise-low distortion), live presence, not harsh or edgy sounding, flexible interfaces. Bring a couple of DACs home for actual comparison, one of them will surely match well with your system and to your preferences. Do keep us updated.

Best,
Vinw, thanks for your recommendations. guess you are knowledgeable with DACs. i would sure try some of the names you suggested, it will be my first venture with DACs. Just read somewhere that Audio Aero are almost 85% similar with Zanden, maybe that is also the kind of sound presentation i would be happy with as they are also more or less in line with YBA attributes.
would post as when i'm free to attend more auditions. thanks
Philip, sometimes older components specifically amps and perhaps preamps designed by the Masters in the past can hardly be equaled. But the dig'l playback nowadays are way ahead from the previous designs. Glad to know you are also trying the newer stuff that are recommended and discussed in some of the forums. Enjoy and have fun with your auditions!

Best,