Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Slowhand, You have a good ear. How many hits has this posting got since you started it? ....I'm at a point with my system where some proper isolation should kick it up a notch or two.You and most here know what a thrill it is to discover yet another whole new level of performance that was hidden in your system.My first real eye/ear opener was taking care of the a.c.acouple of years ago.The next HUGE leap were cables.... The only platforms that I have tried under my amps and pre. that worked pretty good were Symposiums top line... Alot of money for some aluminum and foam. More in fact then SRAs platforms. Cello what are your impressions SRAs products? Thank You
Hi Houstonreef. Sounds like your having a bit of a time with your syrah. Is it it a 60 cycle hum or is it a buzz that seems to piggy back the signal? Do you get it on the phono stage as well?
Mark (Stiltskin),
I tried 3 different Symposium stands before buying the SRA's (now have 4). The Symposium stands did not function well in my system. They compressed the sound stage and sucked the air out when I tried them under my CD player and pre-amp.
The Symposium Rollerblocks on the other hand have been spectacular under everything (CD player, Amps, power supplies and pre-amps). I think everyone should buy one used set of Rollerblocks and try rolling them around under each piece you have and then buy more as is makes sense.
The SRA did great things for controlling base (tighter, more tuneful, and more punch). I think Kevin has done a tremendous job with his product designs (each one was custom built for each of my pieces). I would trust his judgment on where to start in your system and do one piece at a time based on how each piece benefits your system.
$ 600.00 seems like a significant amount to spend on a stand, but they are like upgrading a piece in your system and they never wear out. (as Slowhand suggested NOS tubes do).
Do get one set of used Rollerblocks to play with (this one is a no brainer for $ 250.00 approx). They come up for sale regularly on Audiogon. I will bet you buy more sets.
I would also try one SRA from Kevin Tellekamp. Good guy, knowledgeable, and great with advice. He won’t over sell you.
Good Luck .Happy New Year to All of you be safe on Amateur’s Night.
Rgds,
Larry
Hi Larry,Definitely I will be in touch with Kevin. I have two sets of Symposium roller blocks,series 2 and the series 3 balls.When first told about the series 3 balls acouple of years ago I scoffed at the cost.BULL SHIT.I borrowed some Symposium platforms including some more series 2 and one set of series 3....S.O.B....Talk about the hair on the nape of your neck. However I couldnt afford the platforms and more rollerblocks at the time,though I did buy one set of the series 3. My stuff is sitting directly on two inch thick Canadian hard rock maple stand and amp platforms. Some fine tuning with more platforms and isolation devices should bring some spooky magic to my system. Thanks guys