Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Just a report back on the replacement of my stock regulators (Sovtek 5881). The Sovtek KT66's have settled in and the image wandering I was experiencing is basically gone. From what I've been reading, it would seem to have less to do with the tube type (plenty of endorsements for the Sovtek 5881) and more with condition (alas, I don't have a tester).

Also put in the Bendix 6106 rectifier to replace the Sovtek 5AR4. I think these take many hours to break in, but after about 3 it seems better..clearer, more solid in the low end; the highs seem a little cut off, but again, it's early.

I got it from Tube Depot and the box has a label on it that said: "This tube is a Bendix 6106 / 5Y3GT. Richardson mis-labeled them as 5AR4 years ago. This tube is NOT a 5AR4." Obviously, the tube is labeled 5AR4. Has anybody encontered this?

Best regards,
Hi Ikkyu2, Yes ,the Chenin is an incredibly good preamp for the money. The phono stage is the icing on the cake so to speak! I like what the Bendix 6106 does in the lower midrange on down,I have not experienced any cut off in the upper treble from this tube.From new the Bendix takes along time to burn in. Some members here have had problems using the 6106.Test done on my 6106 shows strong values and both sides match the same. A discoloration formed on the getter spot on my Bendix, also on a couple of my metal base GZ-34s. This is normal. However the stock rectifier was in use as much as the others. It does not have any coloration on the getter spot at all. Hmm.
Ikkyu2:

the labelling on your 6106 is correct. i believe the main difference between the 5AR4 and 5Y3GT (6106) is that the 6106 has a longer rise time than the 5AR4. the 6106 rises considerably slower than the 5AR4 as i'm sure you've noticed. for all intents and purposes though, the 6106 is interchangeable with the 5AR4 in the supratek circuit. check this thread for more discussion about the 6106 in suprateks:

Supratek Tubes and Tube Swappin' for Everybody
My used Chenin arrived yesterday and after settling in, it sounds really great, really more like musical instruments and less like electronics than any other preamp I have heard. Ah, those timbres! And those flowing dynamics, more like the real thing than the razor-edged, "I-am-your-amp-here-I-am" dynamics you find elsewhere... I would like to stress that Mick Maloney is a class act. This guy has provided and keeps providing extraordinary service and help with a few issues (tubes) I have. And mind you, I bought my Chenin used and not directly from him. I really wish the high-end industry was full of persons like Mick Maloney. Then our fine hobby would be more widespread, I dare to believe. Now I understand the cult following that Supratek enjoys.
Best,
frankiealverti
I'm thinking very seriously about ordering the Chardonnay but I have a few questions. From my reading of the first couple of pages of this thread, it seemed that the theater bypass was problematic and caused some troubles? Has this problem been solved with the newer preamp? What is the cost of the theater bypass option? Also, what is the procedure if there is a problem and the unit needs service? Is there a place in the US that does repairs?
On another note, how does the phono preamp in the Chenin compare to a Wright phono preamp? i have the wright and am very fond of it. has anyone compared the two?
Thanks