Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Nicely said Brian and I can appreciate where you are coming from. I'm curious though, as to how you are able listen 'direct' from your turntable without any attenuation - this is not a realistic option in the real world (in order to keep domestic harmony)? In this 'direct' situation you are also assuming that your amp is completely uncolored (which it cannot possibly be).

While I can certainly appreciate that removing the preamp removes a whole lot of electronics from the music reproduction chain, for most of us a control centre a la Supratek preamp is still a necessity. I still maintain that as you move towards hi-rez speakers you will hear more of what your Suprateks are doing.

Regards,

Steve.
>>I still maintain that as you move towards hi-rez speakers you will hear more of what your Suprateks are doing.<<

Steve, I don't think anybody would argue this point but the same could be said of any reference level component be it interconnect, phono cartridge, etc. As the overall system resolution increases it naturally enables each component to perform optimally. There's no question that a Supratek linestage/preamplifier sounds better with high rez speakers but it is not an absolute necessity to enjoy it. All of course IMO.
Steve, you are right, one must have attenuation. Sorry, I didn't intend to imply that running a phono stage direct to an amp would be a good idea for long term usage. It is only an experiment.

Listening with and without a preamp is the only real way to find out just how much it impacts the sound.

Right again - I am sure that amplifiers are colored too however - I have yet to figure out how to drive speakers without an amplifier. :)
I use both the Syrah and the Cabernet with two different systems. A big one with Sound Lab A-1, electrostatics, and Wolcott monoblocks (220 watts/ch) and other "less big" system with Cary 805AE, that uses 845 or 211 tubes with Von Schweikert db99 loudspeakers with ribbon supertweeter. Both systems sound very clean and detailed and both systems have similar "electrostatic" sound. In my opinion the Supratek preamps tend to make an uncolored sound, althoug of course it depends on the tubes on them and the rest of the system. The Cabernet is in some noticeable degree cleaner, more detailed and autoritative then the Syrah. I also tried my Wadia directly to my amps and the music seems clearer but at the end it´s metalic and I agree that it´s flat and without life.
About tubes I´m using in my Cab (and also part of them in the Syrah) Philips GZ34 metal base, WE350B as regulators, although lately I´ve tried also Sylvania 5932 with good results as a much lower price, Tung Sol 6SN7 round plates and TJPX4, in my Cab I can use also WE300B in place of PX4 but in my opinion the TJ sounds better.
If any of you want to take a look what are my loudspeakers here are they in their web
http://www.soundlab-speakers.com/a1.htm
http://www.vonschweikert.com/db99_speaker.html

Bwhite, try to investigate on the old Tannoys monitor gold (http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm) they´re easy to drive one point source speakers. I´m driving them in my bedroom with Sun Audio 2A3 integrated amp at low level with lush and delicated sound.
Thanks Amandarie! I noticed that you sold your H2O. Where are you going now with your system? Bob

Sold it because of financial reasons. I cannot justify a $2800 amp being used only 3 hours a week max lately. But I will be back! I am looking at Apogee and Henry's M series in the future.

regards