pass labs xa30 to valve amplifier.

hi all, i have the above amplifier direct to droplet cd player and zingali 20.6 ( i think thats model number) , chord anthem 2 xlr and epic speaker cable. no preamp as droplet has volume control.

ive been thinking of valve amps recently, but have never been able to hear one. the pass is excellent but i was wondering how a valve amp would change the sound. would a valve one have the same level of clarity and detail? i have heard valve amps offer a more laid back, spacial sound, with emphasis on soundstage? wht kind of price range should i be looking at to better the pass? any thought?
james123
I've used XA30.5 before. It was one of the best SS amp I've used before. I've moved on to tubes, or valves, and now I own ARC VSi60. It's one of the best amp I've heard.
Normally tube amps with the same watts seem to play louder than their SS counterparts because they handle clipping very smoothly. I don't know the percentage of the tube advantage on perceived power, but tube watts always seem more powerful, considerably so, driving a speaker - unless the speaker's impedances are so uneven as to really need SS to operate properly.
Slam and attack with clarity? Tube amps can do that in spades. A lot of that has to do with the relationship between the amp and the speaker:

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources/Paradigms_in_Amplifier_Design.php

Tube failure should not be a cause for speaker damage. In fact a transistor failure is far more likely to damage a speaker, which is why most transistor amps have speaker protection circuits, something not really needed in a tube amp.
Hi James, I am in the UK and have been using a TVC control with the Atmasphere S30Mk3 with Avantgarde Duo's for about 4 years. I have had a (Chineese) tube fail - there was a loud pop but the amp and speaker were not damaged. I would now have absolutely no concern over the reliability of the Atmasphere amps. Also the tubes seem to last well - current set approx 30 months.

I have tried various SS and tube in this system and I will not return to SS. The Atmasphere is the best I have tried and I have no inclination to change after 4 years usage. In face the only reason I might change would be if a lower powered version of the Atmasphere amp was produced. With my speakers (107dB/W) I only ever see the meter showing about 1W and it is really loud!

The soundstage and bloom really draws you into the music. The main thing however is that efficient speakers like yours (and mine) seem to sound 'alive' and dynamic with the Atmasphere amp even at low levels. I think this is really important and a good indicator that a system is well matched.

Anyway, I am sure you will have fun choosing which way you want to go.
Hello James,
Low power tube amps SET or PP can provide excellent impact,dynamics and clarity/transparency without a doubt. The key is selecting a well built and high quality tube amp(transformers,parts and stout power supply). Equally important is the right speaker match, one that`s efficient and has an easy drive load impedance. With the really good tube amplifiers you get realism,natural bloom and wonderful tone(acoustic instruments and vocals) that`s very difficult to achieve in many other types of amps IMO.Best of luck with your progression.