Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
The HT bypass is used to "pass" an external processor or other source directly to the output of the Cortese. The signal goes through untouched. The HT bypass is not an output of any kind. If you want an output to a reel to reel, use the tape monitor loop by plugging the input of the reel to reel into the "REC" unbalanced outputs (see diagram in the owner's manual). That's better than using the unbalanced outputs of the Cortese (actually you can't if you're using the balanced outputs already)because the reel to reel would be getting a full signal from the Cortese, unaffected by the volume settings.
As far as the other question from Michael Smith, that would depend if the signal that you want to pass through has already gone through a gain stage. If it's coming from the front channel outputs of a standalone DVD player, it's cleaner than if the signal is coming from the front outputs of a processor with volume control because the signal is will pass through 2 gain stages, but it's still doable...just not as clean as a true HT bypass which ensures that the signal will only pass through 1 gain stage and you would not have to set the volume for the front speakers both on the HT Processor and on the Cortese. Hope that helps.
Been following this thread from NY for a while and finally got my Cortese strictly based on your recommendations. I'm using SONY SCD1>Cortese>H20 Signatures>Aerial Acoustics 10T's. All this stuff is fantastic imo but the Cortese was the ice cream on the cake. It's realy everything you guys said it would be and then some! So I thank you all for sharing!

Need some help though. I had the Cortese being powered by a PS Audio Power Plant set at Sine Wave @117Volts/60Hz, and the Cortese worked perfect for 3 days. When I increased the voltage to 120V (as specified on the back of the Cortese), the fuse blew on the Cortese Power Supply an hour later...not sure if there's a connection or not. The rest of my equipment has been fed by the P600 power plant for the last 4 years with no problem. The Cortese uses ceramic 4 Amp slow blow fuses and a spare was not provided with the Cortese. Tried replacement glass fuses (same specs), but they keep blowing after 1 second and a faint buzzing sound. The Cortese is plugged directly into the wall socket now but it just refuses to work. I've contacted Mick but no answer so far...will try to get ceramic fuses tomorrow but I cannot tell whether the power plant understates the actual voltage that's being produced. Any one had a similar experience with blown fuses for any reason, and what was the solution? Do you know if maybe the ceramic and glass fuses are that different? The unit had already cooled down, so heat could not have been a problem when the last glass fuse blew. I'm not sure why 120 or 125 Volts or whatever voltage was output into the Cortese would be a problem. I would think that it has overload protection.
Sonics1 - I just had an email from Mick, he was traveling and said it might be a couple days before he could check email again. But I expect you will hear from him soon. It might also be worthwhile to contact PS Audio to see if others have had any problems when adjusting voltage. Good luck.
Tks. Tonnesen. Mick is back from vacation and he thinks that it's a defective 5AR4 tube in the power supply and he's sending a new one over along with a couple spare fuses. He's also got a friend in NY that he trusts to test out the Cortese if the problem persists. We're checking out a few other possibilities also. I did contact PS Audio and they don't believe that the Power Plant could have caused the problem no matter what the voltage was set on. Anyone on this thread using a power plant to feed a Supratek? I'll give it another run when the new tube gets here. If it starts to heat up again, I'll take it off the power plant. Got to get this baby cranking again!! The sound was unbelievably addicting while it lasted. at least I'll get some sleep at night with this down time.
Dear fellow supratek owners
I am in the process of looking for a new power amp, that will mate well with my martin logan odysseys and cortese preamp. I am running a hybrid thing at the moment but i feel I could do better in the power department. I heard a few years back a powerful bryston pumping out a nice sound but I am not sure how this would mate with the cortese.
Requirements
1 balanced operation( live in RF hell)
2 Powerful with low gain
3 good value ?

sorry if this question has been asked before but this thread is a nightmare to read because of the paging.

I thank you all in advance
Biscuitbloke