Bob Carver 180 Mono-blocks perform superbly

Is anyone in the Audiogon community using the Bob Carver 180 mono-blocks? I just placed a new pair in my system and I am really amazed at their performance. I am using them with the PS Audio PWD/PWT, First Sound MK-III and Tyler Acoustics D1 speakers. The price to performance ratio is outstanding. The Bob Carver 180's are producing an extremely clean, clear and open sound-stage. I can safely say they will compete with mono-blocks costing much more.
thankful
The Absolute Sound Editors Choice and Product of the Year was also given to the NuForce Reference 9 switching amplifiers reviewed by TAS Senior Writer Chris Martens in 2009. Within a few months a small group of that periodicals writers, with the exception of Martens, panned the product in an unbelievably half assed "class D shootout."

On the other hand I've owned both the NuForce and now the Carver VTA 180's which are very similar to the more powerful Black Beauty's which were reviewed by Executive Editor Jonathan Valin in the December 2012 issue. My experience with both sets of mono blocks was and is very similar to the descriptions by both Martens and Valin.

I have a pair of Voskhod 12AX7 that I have yet to try.
Voskhod 12AX7 for only $1.70! Let us know how it sounds. However, it looks like you have to rewire the filament connection because it only accepts 6.3 V, not 12.6 V. Not sure how the 12AX7s in the Carvers are connected.
Vicdamone, how does the NuForce Ref 9 sound compared to the Cherry 180? I have not had Class D amps in my system. I've heard them in other systems and at shows, but the sound never won me over.
So why are "vintage transformers" better than the ones wound now, specifically for these amps? Old is good?
Hi Ait, I did not say vintage transformers are better. For the eBay Cherry 180s, Bob used pie wound vintage transformers that he bought when he was in college, I believe. Pie winding was important in the old days when the "iron" wasn't as good as present day core material. In the pre-transistor era, transformer designers had to rely more on their winding technique than the core material to get good frequency response. But pie winding is more time consuming and difficult to do. This is what Bob told me.