How do I hook up 2 preamps to one amp

I have a NAD preamp that I use for music. I have a Lexicon preamp that I use for Video. The problem is I have 1 five chanel amp that I need to use for both preamps. When I try to use rca splitters/y adapters, my speakers play at a low volume. If I disconnect one preamp, the speakers play louder. What should I do to allow both preamps access to my 5 channel amp and not have humming or low volume.
kartez
You could run the Lexicon through the tape loop on the NAD. The tape loop is independent of volume control and should pass through a full signal.

When you use the splitter you are effectively hooking the 2 preamp outputs together which is never a good idea.

I haven't used a tape loop in a while but I don't believe that would work as described. The tape in from the Lexicon would be controlled by the NAD volume control if you use the regular outputs. It is the tape out that isn't affected by the volume control but if you use that then you won't be able to control the volume for music either.

Use the normal pre outputs from the NAD to the input of the amp. Take the Lexicon front L and R output and put into any unused input on the NAD including tape in. Choose that input when watching videos. When you do, set the volume control on the NAD so it matches the level when you have the Lexicon hooked directly to the amp.

Kartez and Herman, tell me if I'm wrong but...aren't most Lexicon units superior to most NAD's? Why not lose the NAD?

I considered that too but since I have no experience with either decided not to comment.