Passive preamp recommendation to my system

I am looking for advice for choosing the matching passive or active preamp for my system...My amp is Krell Ksa 100s and my cd/dvd player is Lexicon RT20 and my speakers are Jm labs Alcor...Please advice...my room is about the same size as 2 car garage. My buget is 1000 or less...
ejvic
I have a preamp which allows me to AB switch between active and passive TVC. The passive is always nicer in the high end.
I was able to find specs on your amp (47k ohm input impedance/1.4V sensitivity) but not complete specs on your player (I could only find it has 2V output). Given what I have found and based on the designers minimum requirements, if your player's output impedance is less than 200 ohms, a Lightspeed attenuator would be worth trying. Given its cost of roughly $500, you don't have much to lose.

Not all passive preamps, in fact probably very few would be an ideal match in your system. Instead, you can always try an active buffer. There are many fine ones within your budget including the Pass B1, Horn Shoppe Truth, and the tube unit from Dodd Audio. These will have low enough output impedance to drive lowish input impedance amps. You should also have no issue connecting your source to it, but just in case you may want to verify the input impedance of the buffer.
Greetings,
I used to run a Mod Squad Delux Line Drive for years, still have it. It is a great sounding pre-amp.
Look up in the archives of Sterophile or TAS about the review of this passive pre-amp.
There are some very good ones out there today.
Joe Nies
Definitely worth trying some passive pre-amps like Bent Audio Tap-X and Lightspeed. I disagree with initial post that they are a waste of time and money - completely unhelpful and unconstructive remark although hardly surprising on this forum.