How do we remember 1970s amplifiers?

I would be curious to hear some of the memories and impressions associated with the following short list of 1970s amplifiers:

- McIntosh "first generation" SS amps, MC2105, MC2505, MC2300, MC250, MC2100
- Dynaco Stereo 400 and Stereo 120
- Phase Linear 400 and 700
- Bang & Olufsen "slide rule" receivers (i.e. especially blackface Beomaster 4000)
- Original Ampzilla (not Son of Ampzilla)

I've chosen this list mainly because they cover a wide range of approaches to solving the issues of early semiconductor technology, and they were all pretty mainstream products in the U.S. I'm excluding the Japanese receivers/amps not out of predjudice; it's simply that the circuit designs varied quite a bit with each model, and thus harder to broadly classify their characteristics.

I'm interested in impressions of both sonic and non-sonic attributes, and a preferred ranking of the above, if you like.
kirkus
I seem to remember Phase Linear amps had a reputation for catching on fire. That made an impression on my memory.
Well it was from an earlier time, but what I had in the 70s - the MAC MA 230 hybrid integrated. I remember it as being the greatest piece of gear of all time. I assume I was delusional, but I did not know any better and so it was the greatest piece of gear of all time.
Loved Phase Linear 400 driving ESS Towers, but my budget dictated Yamaha integrated, which I still have (upgraded by Ezekiel).
Not trying to be argumentative. As I mentioned above, I used to own Crown gear. As I recall, it was considered SOTA in its day. I beieve it was top rated by J. Gordon Holt's Stereophile (before it accepted advertising) back in the 70s and was used to drive the most demanding power hungry hi-end speakers, e.g., Tympani panels, etc.

Yet, it's earlier repuattion does not appear to have survived time. Just a question: why is that? I admit that I have not critically listened to Crown gear recently nor compared it to my current gear. Perhaps some of the oldheads out there can tell me why the old vintage Crown gear has fallen out of favor. Maybe it was the use of copious amounts of NF to achieve spectacular performance stats??? Dunno.

Loved that old stuff. Happy Holidays!