Amps and integrateds w/ similar sonic sig to MC275

Hi folks,

I've been out of the audio realm for a while, but I now want to put together a small system with good performance. I have had a lot of experience listening and owning some good gear, so I am not a beginner.

As far as amps goes, I've owned SS (Pass Labs) and tubes (McIntosh), and in my last nice system I had the MC275 (production model after the Gow version, but before the version with the modern speaker terminals) running. I probably never should have sold it... I really enjoyed the sound; engaging and lively, with some base slam when needed. Overall, it was all the amp I needed, and probably could be again, but I'll need to buy another one.

Since I do need to buy an amp, I feel I should do a reasonable search before I get the MC275 again... I like to know that I have evaluated all my reasonable options...

The first question is what amps would you recommend as a sonic twin to the MC275?

Because I was thinking a small system, I was thinking possibly of an integrated instead. Can anyone recommend any integrated amps that have a similar sonic signature to the MC275? I will probably be buying used, and probably don't want to go over the price of an MC275 used unless there is a real compelling reason (at that point, I'd probably go for the MC275 again).

I don't have a speaker selected yet, but will be looking at the Totems, Sonus Faber, and similar. Not big floorstanders, but probably not the bookshelf versions.

Thanks. If I need to provide any more information, let me know...

---Michael
mjm6
Pdreher,

Thanks for the thoughts... I am inclined to agree with you on that approach. I was hoping for a short list of amps that I should consider as alternates, but so far that is not forthcoming.

When I was at RMAF, I saw that Totem was driving some of their speakers with the Rogers integrated amp. Now, I feel it's all but impossible to compare things like that is a show like RMAF, but clearly, Totem felt good enough about the amp to mate it with their speakers.

So that is one product I had in mind, but it may well be impossible to try it out because of the lack of dealers.
Have you considered the Cayin Audio A-88T integrated amplifier? The reviews in Stereophile and The Abso!ute Sound were positive and it's been favorably compared to the MC275.

Here's a link to further information:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/16539/Cayin_Audio-IntegratedPower_Vacuum_Tube_Amplifier_2245_Watt_with_6550_tubes-Integrated_Amplifiers

I have no affiliation with either Cayin or Acoustic Sounds.

Good luck in your search.
Hi Joe,

I've heard some Cayin, but not that particular one. It is one that I was thinking might be a viable candidate, though.

Maineack, the VAC gear I've listened to sounds good, but I've only had a little exposure to them (RMAF this fall). I need to do some research on them for sure.

---Michael
I had a chance to listen carefully to the new Totem Earth and Fire speakers...

...and also the Forest speakers and a few other models. I'm very impressed with what they are doing in the new Element series, and will probably be getting one of those, most likely the Fire.

The specs I have seen show 8 ohms impedance and 88 db/w for both models, so because of that I don't expect either to be terribly difficult to drive.

So let's suppose that I will get one of these two speakers, I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

---Michael