Gryphon Colosseum vs. Karan M2000 monoblocks

I've been on the search for desert island amplification to partner with my Sonus Faber Futuras for a while now. The contenders has been narrowed down to either the Gryphon Colosseum (Stereo) or the new Karan M2000 monoblocks. The price offered are more or less the same.

Preamp will probably be Gryphon Mirage or Pandora if going for the Colosseum, or the KA L Ref.MK3 if going for the Karan M2000. I'm also considering a tube preamp as an alternative - especially the Conrad Johnson GAT.

I would truly appreciate ANY feedback regarding these poweramps and brands. If anyone has experience with both, that would be most valuable.

Source will be Brinkmann Bardo/10.5 tonearm/Pi cartridge for analog playback. Digital playback is yet to be decided, but I'm using an Audio Aero Prestige SE at the moment.

My room is approx. 6x5 square meters. I'm mostly listening to small scale rock/pop/acoustic, classical and electronical music. The system will be used for music mainly, but also film.

Thanks!
128x128sidekick_i
Sidekick, when comparing amplifiers + speakers, remember to factor-in the source.
Magico does most of their demos with reel-to-reel master tapes, which gives them a HUGE head start (better, cleaner, more musical than CD or LP).

I have not compared Spectral + Magico to Karam + Sonus Faber, so I can not honestly say which one sounds better to my ears, however, I suggest that you pay attention to the source components and try to level the field by bringing your own recordings when auditioning.
Have fun!
@Casouza: Thanks. You're right ofcourse. I'm trying to do as much serious evaluation in my own system as practically possible. I've heard Magico V3 and Q3 with ARC(CD5) + Devialet as well as MBL(CD...) + Spectral(amps) btw.

My Sonus Faber Futuras arrived yesterday. They play beautifully from the first note. Extremely balanced and transparent while managing to obtain that critical flow and musicality. And yes, after fifteen years of using stand mount speakers, I've definately missed out on the lower frequencies, which not only gives the music foundation and solidity, but increased dimensionality as well.

Happy as a Clown right now. I'm also evaluating a new amplifier brand from Italy called "Absoluta" after a recommendation from my dealer (who believe these products to be the best match he's heard with Sonus Fabers, including rivals(high-end separates) from Krell, Vitus, McIntosh and Soulution among others. Hybrid preamp and transistor monoblocks. The short version is that I'm very, very impressed so far.

http://www.absoluta.it/

Hi Sidekick,

Interesting amps...let us know what you think. Certainly look cool! Which ones are you using at the moment?

Remember that Franco Serblin was often known to use Berning (boutique company) OTL amps (output transformless or something) with his Homage series speakers (G, Amati, Strad)...and i know someone who uses their mono Z models with Wilson Alexandrias and swears by them. Berning goes from low power to their big 270-watt monos.

While the Futura was designed by new ownership, and i suspect will do better big Krell (like much of the rest of the SF does as well imho), you might go this route to see what happens (ie, clean, muscular tubes).

Enjoy the speakers!!! Surely one of the greats today.
Hi Lloyd,

I'm using the Talia preamp + Janus monoblocks. which are their "top offerings"(list price is about 20.000€ I believe). The design is, well...almost over the top :o) I don't care much for the wooden look. The all black or white versions look great though. The preamp is a hybrid with a great phono built in. The monoblocks are wonderfully compact and powerful. So far, they manage to create a very effortless sound with the Futuras. Solid state authority partnered with a hint of tube warmth and great dimensionality. I can't say I miss anything really... Makes me wish for even more of the tube-like qualities to be honest... Very interesting products indeed. I've got cables from Goldenote on loan for evaluation as well.

Yes, Berning is indeed an interesting option. They're quite boutique though, even though there's a Swedish importer. I've never seen or heard them though.

I'm playing with the idea of bridging the Futuras... Maybe an "older" Krell for the bass units, partnered with a delicate modern tube amp for the midrange and tweeter... Hmm...:o)

The Futuras looks utterly amazing btw. The Memento, even though gorgeous in their own right are not on the same level standing side by side with the Futuras I have to say...

Sonically, I need more time for evaluation and break-in of the speakers. But, so far it's clear that the Futuras are more neutral, natural, balanced, extended and transparent than the earlier Amatis (or the Mementos). The bass is also much better (tight, articulated and controlled) I believe. It doesn't cause any problems what so ever in my medium sized room about 1m(3ft) from the back wall, which has been a slight worry.
Hi Sidekick,

100% agree with your last paragraph...100%. I have heard all the Guaraneris...original, the one that came after and the new Memento, as well.

This Futura is far and away my favorite of the 3 Amatis. Far and away.

As for using 2 sets of amps...i imagine perfectly done that could be amazing...but in addition to the complexity (at one particular volume level)...i wonder what would happen as you reduce and increase the volume...would the amps be able to react to the load requirements in the same way and continue to give you similar sound throughout the volume spectrum? i have never done it...just curious.