Audio Research Ref 5 and Krell amps

Hello,

Just wondering if ARC Ref 5 preamp will mate well with Krell FPB 450 MCX monoblocks. My speakers are Revel Salon 2.
sfstereo
First thing out of the box, call VPi and review with Mike or Harry you problem and path forward plann to so. If they advised you that combine impedance is too low, thereby putting too heavy a load on the pre, they may give you some practical solutions. In my case, I reached out to To Tutay, who in turn built me a custom impedance buggers.
I got my Christmas gift a few day early. Yes, my ARC REF 5SE had finally arrived. It has only a few hours but it sounds fantastic. It has all the advantages of SS - deep bass, extended highs and very low background noise but it also has great mids/vocals and deep soundstage of tubes.

I have compared it to a borrowed Ayre KXR preamp and to my surprise, I preferred the REF 5. That is saying a lot considering how good the KXR is. The REF 5 will sound even better as it accumulates more hours.
Well Merry Christmas to you Sfstereo! Wait until you have ~650 hours on it, that seems to be where it fully settles in and then the Ref 5 sounds amazing!
Ritmo,

The Ref5SE is a Ref 5 with power supply upgrades using parts from the 40th Anniverasy preamp. There are also a few cosmetic changes.