help me to understand the gain

I have a problem that the gain is too high. I can only turn the volume knob to 7 o'clock position, with the 0 at 6 o'clock. I am sort of ok when using my computer where I can lower the volume in iTunes. But from my CD player, I cannot.
I am using Maverick Audio DAC, PrimaLuna Progloue 3, McCormack DNA-1, and B&W CDM9NT.

CDM9NT - 90db sensitivity
PrimaLuna - gain 12db(4x), input impedance - 100k Ohm, output impedance - 2800 Ohm
McCormack - input impedance - 100k Ohm, 150Wpc RMS into 8 ohms (21.8dBW)

is that my equipments are out of synergy? I just bought a pair of Zu which is 101db sensitivity, does that mean it will be a even bigger problem? should I buy another preamp with less gain, or should I buy another amp with less power output?
gte357s
Given the exceptionally high gain/amp and very sensitive Zu speakers, you have the ideal setting for a passive preamp(high quality). Your system needs no additional gain at all.
GoodLuck,
You can essentially nullify the gain of the preamp (reducing it to 2db) by placing a pair of 10db Rothwell Attenuators, or similar devices that are available from other manufacturers, at the preamp inputs.

However, to obtain an adequate overall reduction in gain, you would have to place an ADDITIONAL 10 or even 20db of attenuation at the power amp inputs, and there would be a problem doing that.

According to Stereophile's measurements of your preamp, its already very high output impedance of 2.7K at mid and treble frequencies rises to 11.5K at 20Hz. That rise will result in a significant deep bass rolloff when driving most or all readily available passive attenuators. (I've measured the input impedance of my Rothwell's as being about 33K, which is much too low to be driven properly by a preamp having that kind of output impedance).

As I see it, the fundamental problem is that your power amp is much more powerful than what is required by 101db speakers under typical conditions, and although (as was said above) power and gain are two different things, they generally have a significant degree of correlation. I would suggest selling the amp and replacing it with something that is less powerful and has lower gain. Having to pay for fewer amplifier watts may also allow you obtain better sound quality per amplifier dollar.

If you do that, be sure to choose an amp having high input impedance (ideally 100K or more), to be a proper match for the PrimaLuna.

Regards,
-- Al
i would replace preamp for McCormack with unity gain. one of my super-favorite is MLD as active in unity gain. perfect correlation indeed.
Your DNA1 has an input sensitivity of 1.2 volts .. which means a 1.2 volt signal will drive the amp to it's rated output (150 WTs)

The PL3's output voltage is 5 volts as measured in a Stereophile review and way to much output for the DNA1's input stage

The PL3 is over powering the DNA1 input stage and you can't use all the volume control available in the PL3 as it only takes 1.2 volts to drive the amp to max output

You can put a 10db attenuator at the amp's input or just remove the PL3 and drive the DNA1 from the Dac ... which has Tube output and a volume control

The Dac's 2 volt output is much more compatible with the DNA1's 1.2 volt input sensitivity

Unless you need the PL3 to switch other sources ... take it out as you already have Tube flavor in the Dac

Wouldn't hurt or cost anything to give it a try ... Ditch the PL3 to and give it a listen
Nothing to add to the gain comments, I agree you simply have waaaaaaay too much.

Your speakers are begging for a low power SET amp like a 300B. Keep an idea on the classifieds and you can find a very nice 300B amp in the $1,000 range. A passive pre and an SET is my recommendation.