Audio Research DS 450 amp......thoughts

....that's what I'm looking for, thoughts on this class D amp from this tube giant. Some people like like it.....what do YOU think if you have heard it
garebear
Garebear...
Cut from Audio Researchs website:

"The output stage is a high-speed pulse-width modulated (analog) switching design that also builds on the proven formula in the DSi200, but with twice the number of 500W power-mosfet output devices in each channel. With a 400 kHz switching duty cycle, the output stage stays cool under the toughest loads."

So it's a true class D amplifier.

If a amplifier should have a chance to let the upper registers and treble through in a fairly unharmed way the -3dB point should be 200KHz or higher.

DS450 have it's -3dB at 45KHz while 300.2 have it's -3dB point at 30KHz.
A slight improvement, but not enough in my opinion.
When they reach swithing frequencies at 2-5 MHz and have -3dB point in the 200-500KHz range there might be a chance that a class D amplifier can compete with a good traditional amplifier.

Don't we all remember how the first CD-players with brickwall filters sounded like compared to vinyl ?
Bad...
Real bad.
I would say that the same can be said about class D amps compared to traditional amplifier technology.
It simply lacks air and precision in the soundstage which also are compromised and in your face.
Timbre is lousy and it's very hard to hear any acoustic instrument as it was recorded.

Audio research's efforts still are some of the best in the market, but the technology itself are too undeveloped at the moment (for fullrange use).
Flex2,

May want to give it a listen. I did a comparison with Ayre and McIntosh. The DS450 did extremely well.

Thanks,
Mike
Ritmo

I will absolutely give it a listening when I get the chance, and try to keep an open mind.
Audio research are and will always be one of my favourite brands so I will always listen to their products when I get the chance to do so.
Few other brands have been able to recreate the musical event as natural and vivid as ARC's more successful designs.
Thank you for your reponses....what must also be take into consideration is that this amp is $8,000. It is not inexpensive however you want to compare.
Flex2
Before you bash a product you should at least listen to it in a familiar environment. and in the case of the new ARC digital amps make sure they've had several hundred hrs to burn in.I have the Dsi 200 and it's evolved into an outstanding amp.
ONE OF MY MAJOR GRIPES WITH AUDIOGON IS THAT PEOPLE MAKE BLANKET STATEMENT ABOUT PRODUCTS THEY HAVE NO EXPERIANCE WITH!!
This practice is a disservice to all envolved.