Why Not More Conversation about VAC?

As I browse Audiogon's posts...I'm constantly amazed at the lack of attention, questions, remarks about VAC, (Valve Amplification Company).
First and foremost, I'm thinking that most if not all of us are music lovers--and I'm not aware, subjectively, of course, of more, just out and out, musical sounding electronics. And, I don't mean that in a perjorative, 'colored' sense...I mean that in the most flattering sense.
The lack of comments may mean nothing, but it just strikes me as 'absent' from good discussions.
Second, and beyond the stellar sound, if you want great gear, and a great person to buy it from, who better in terms of accommodation, knowledge and service than Kevin Hayes. Like the Bobster (Palkovic) his reputation for building first rate stuff and then backing it to the hilt is unsurpassed.

Kevin is also a great guy AND music lover of the first order...a friend too, but I'm not shilling here, just seriously wondering why VAC isn't further up the discussion ladder.

Kinda like reading Motor Trend Magazine, in which they 'Test Drive' a Mustang in EVERY ISSUE!!!

Just wondering.

Larry
lrsky
Mapman...

"Maybe there are others that can match teh sound quality taking a more budget oriented approach? It would surprise me if that were not the case, but I am not educated enough in this area to know if such an amp actually exists or not."

The old saying, there's no such thing as a free lunch applies. How COULD/WOULD they make something as good, using cheaper parts and not handwiring...that's counterintuitive to me.

Agree with just about everything you've said here though.

Good Listening.

Larry

Mapman,

I'm not about to get into debates but I owned the the MBL 6010D pre-amp at the same time I owned the ARC REF3, both are gone and replaced by the VAC Sig. MK2a and I have never looked back.

At the same time I owned the mentioned pre's above I had the 9008 mono's and 9011's mono's and no way do they come close in over all comparison to the 450's other wise one or the other would still be in my set-up.

In relation to MBL product my two favourite pces are the 101E speakers and 1621a transport.

Discussions are great but in the end I have owned and lived with my gear for a long time and they are dialed in so I'm writing my thought's from first hand exsperience not going to showrooms and or shows and listening, big difference.

I agree with you that there are allot of things going on but this is with any set-up but I will say I finaly have found amps that just do it for me and it's a great feeling but then again it's just not the amps but paired up with the VAC pre I currently have.

I'm really looking forward to getting them.

Hi Swampwalker,

I actually had a Doshi pre and compared it to my current VAC Sig. MK2a w/phono and prefered the VAC. I was using a TW Acustic Raven AC3 with a Graham Phantom MK2 arm and XV-1s latest version cart for vinyl front end.

When I looked at the Doshi build quality exterior, not going inside and how costly it is had me scratching my head wondering why, there's allot of room for improvement.

Put my current VAC side by side with the Doshi and it's pretty apparent the VAC is superior.

As we both know there are always going to be differences along with preferences and that's okay.

Mapman,

I agree service is very important and one of the reason's I ran very quickly when it came to the CAT product and lack of. My only hope is that is if I ever have any issues with my VAC product it will be taken care of efficiently, I am buying through a long time dealer so one would think that should assist and I have dealt with this dealer for many years.
Dev, I agree with you. I have had many amps and preamps in the past CJ, VTL, CAT, MFA, and I must say the Phi 300.1 and VAC Sig. Mark IIa preamp are the best I ever had. They are not only the most musical, but also are very transparent and engaging. I could hug Kevin Hayes for all the enjoyment. I think I will next time I see him either at Rocky Mountain or CES. I would love to hear his best amps in my system, but I probably would have to have them, will see.

Jwm, yup be prepared if you hear them in your own set-up you will most defiantly have to have them, it's really hard to put into words the whole exsperience.

Just like when I heard them I was being very skeptical, nit picking, looking for faults etc. any excuse not to buy them but oh no that just didn't happen, in the end what I experienced first hand I have never heard before and that's with the same pre-amp with phono and speakers as mine.

So enjoy!