ARC SP-8 to SP-17?

The appearance of a couple of SP-17s (and at least one LS-17) for sale over the past month made me day-dream a bit (until I get my taxes paid, this is probably all that I can do for now!). I'm using an SP-8 pre amp, re-tubed and re-capped by ARC in 2009, driving an ARC 150.2. What I wonder is whether swapping the older pre amp for the newer one would be a real improvement, or a very minor improvement, or a lateral. While the obvious test would be to try it, that isn't easy to arrange. The route which seems to be a more likely improvement would be to go for an LS17 plus something like a PH5 phono stage, but that is quite a bit more costly. Any thoughts from you ARC users out there?
palewin

You are going to get replies on both sides. There is no way for you to know which you prefer unless you compare them. I would suggest that you borrow a SP17 or LS17 from a dealer. The other option would be to take your SP8 to a dealer and compare them.

I owned a SP8 many years ago along with a couple of other ARC preamps. I think that ARC's recent preamps, especially the one using the 6H30 tube are a huge improvement. When I traded my LS2 for a LS25 mk2 I was amazed at what a huge improvement there was.
Lostbears: Thanks for the quick reply! To get one idea "off the table," I eliminated borrowing a newer pre amp (SP17 or LS17) from my dealer, or taking my SP8 in to the dealer, because my objective would be to buy the component used (after all, this is Audiogon!). So taking up his time, knowing that he won't get the sale is, to me, unethical. (When I knew I would be giving him business, as when I bought my Magneplanars, I of course used as much of his demo time as I could.)
Agree with Lostbears. I used to own the SP-17 and switched it out for the Ref3. As I'm sure you know, the SP-17 is not an LS-17, but minus the phono stage. They are different units. ARC refers to the LS-17 as a "Baby Ref 3." If you go the LS-17 route, you may want to try to swing the few extra bucks it will cost to get into a used PH-7 Phono Pre. The PH-7 is much improved over the PH-5. I also own the PH-7 and love it!

Not to mess with your head too much, but it may be worth a call to ARC to speak with Calvin. He's a real nice guy and may be able to advise you how to get the most bang for your buck. For example, your 150.2 amp is a Class T SS amp that ARC discontinued in 2006. Cal may suggest (??) that part of your upgrade include changing out the amp and going a little cheaper on the pre. Just a suggestion. Good luck.