Small-ish Speakers That Come Alive At Low Volume

domestic situation requires a smallish (monitor or bookshelf) speaker with most listening being done at low to moderate levels.

hoping to hear some recommendations for speakers that aren't too large and don't need to be played loud to really come alive.

preamp is Aesthetix Calypso; amp is Spectron Musician 3 mk2

many thanks,
Scott
128x128srosenberg
I'm using Gallo Strada's in a nearfield setup with the TR-3 Sub in a small condo. Despite not being particularly efficient, they sound wonderful at low volumes. The presentation is very strong in detail and some might find it bright. They work well without the sub for some acoustic music, but are flat only to about 70 hz in my room.
Given your budget, I might suggest a few other choices:

Aerial Acoustics 5B
Harbeth HL-P3ES2
Joseph Audio RM7XL
Refernce 3A Dulcet
Spender SA1
I would also look at the PSB Platinum M2 which can be purchased new for about $1200 right now.
You should audition the Merlin TSM's. Fabulous sound, all that you are seeking, and compact. I have had many speakers of all shapes and sizes and Merlin's are a keeper for me.
Happy Listening!
Fritz Carbon 7's, simply amazing, only $1750 but better than any monitors I've heard under $4k, and i've heard a lot. I would seriously take a look into it and contact Fritz for advice. No affiliation here, just want to spread the word on a gem of a monitor.

www.fritzspeakers.com