System pairing

I currently have a very mid-fi at best system IMO. I was looking to do a new set up in the spring time and summer after I save up the funds to do so.

I'm just looking for suggestions on the compoents if people feel this would work, or something else I should try in a compoents place.

Turn table-VPI classic with dynavector 20 x cartridge.

BAT VK-31

Cary 306 professional CDP

Pass Labs X250 or X350

cables would be MIT shotgun series.

speakers I will be using Carver Amazing Silvers
bighead63
Srwooten, do you think the system would be better off with a Pass Labs pre rather than the BAT?

Yes. Pass amps and pre's are both QUIET, highly detailed, powerful, and accurate. If you like that kind of sound this is a great way to go. That is the way I went, although I ultimately sold my Pass X-600 monos and went with a Edge 10.1nl stereo amp. The big Pass monos put out way to much heat for my room.

You'll get a bit of tube warmth (enough IMO) with the Cary CD player.

The BAT gear is notably more colored. Nothing wrong with that.... If you like that kinda' sound go that way, but with a more "like-minded" amp.

Get a Mint Protractor to get the most out of your TT set-up. What are you going to use for a phono stage?
Phono stage at the moment would be a modded Jolida, however not sure what I would use yet with the new system.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding using a Pass pre, which of the models do you think would be the best pairing with the X250 or X350?
Bighead63,

I didn't read about your budget, but if you are seriously considering Pass, you may want to compare the class A amps to the A/B amps. The INT 150 or INT 30.5 integrated should be very good, simple options. Both are based on the newest amp/preamp lines. Or you could try a used Aleph amp and an X-1 pre. There are many combinations possible. I've had quite a few and can tell you that the latest Pass stuff is considerably better to my ears. And I prefer the class A sound. It depends on how much power you need, what your budget is, and how much you are willing to spend.

Start with the speaker/room interface and then get the right amp for your speakers based on your listening tastes and power needs. Then consider the source and cables. Happy listening.
regarding using a Pass pre, which of the models do you think would be the best pairing with the X250 or X350?

I use the X-1 and really love it. I have heard the newer models are even more refined. Anything Pass is REALLY good IMHO.