Pass Labs:What to expect fm XA60.5 to XA100.5

Hi Guys,

Some of you may know that I have some buzz/hum issue in one of newly received XA60.5 mono blocks. The dealer diagnosed the problem and determined the transformer needs replacing. Since the XA60.5 is only few days old so I am given the chance to get a replacement set or I could top up the price difference to get the X350.5 or XA100.5s when my dealer gets their stocks in the next 3-4 weeks time.

Kudos to Pass Labs and the dealer's service for all the patience and after sales services...certainly very much appreciated and glad I go for Pass Labs.

As such, I have 3-4 weeks to listen to the current XA60.5 in my system while waiting for the stocks to arrive and make the final decision on the swap/upgrade.
elmerpoh
My speakers are 90 db efficiency. My amplifier provides 400+ watts into 4 ohms. I use every one of those watts, every day. And not just for a couple seconds.
I owned the 350.5 and the 250.5 at the same time, and for me in my system the 250.5 was the winner. It simply had better synergy equally from top to bottom. The 350.5 was leaning more to the upper frquencies and not as balanced as the 250.5

My friend also had the 250.5 and bought the xa 60's. We pretty much have the same system, and to me the xa 60 were to liniar not as much weight and body as the 250.5. Some what like the 350.5.

I here the xa 100's are more full bodied like the 250.5
My current amp is an Aleph 60W/ch. It has plenty of power for my Avantgarde Duo's. If I upgrade then I will probably go with the XA60.5's.
7p62mm: "A couple of advantages that the XA60.5 has over the XA100.5 is the 33% lower up front cost and the 33% lower power consumption (200W versus 300W)."

And in my experience, lower power versions of the same circuit generally sound better than those requiring more complex output stages for the additional power - IF you have sufficient power. With 90db speakers, 60 watts 8 ohm should be more than enough, unless you really like the idea of premature hearing loss or the ability to make you neighbors want to move or sue you.
Hi Guys,

Apologies for the late update, was tied up and seldom log into the site.

Yes, I've upgraded to the XA100.5 and used the same VSA Unifield 2s on the 100.5 and 60.5.

What I felt from different amps on the same speaker, the 100.5 sure have more headroom, and sounds less congested when playing heavy tracks(classical and live rock concert). The beautiful mids are similar to the 60.5 but do feel there's slightly more definition and resolution with the 100.5 on the mids and highs hence the soundstage sounds more focus. Some increase in width and height on the soundstage too.

Overall, the music picture portrayed by the 100.5 is towards a denser and complete sound if compared with the 60.5.

The 60.5 is a great amp, but with higher Pure Class A watts using the same design does better it and it should being a higher cost model.

If one can stretch, go for the 100.5. I agree from some of the comments I read and heard, the 100.5 is the sweet spot model among the XA.5 series in Pass Labs.

Now as they say, nothing is perfect. Coming to the down side of 100.5, I am always craving for even more resolution, more speed and a tighter and more defined low ends from them especially when I am listening for live music concerts on classical or rock. Believe this is the design and characteristic of Pass Labs sounding slightly layback with benefit of a more beautiful mids and highs.

I have since moved on and am very happy what I can achieve with the Soulutions.

Cheers