Who is using passive preamps and why?

Seldom has there been any discussions on passive preamps in the forums and although my experience with them has been limited I have found them so far to be very enjoyable and refreshingly different. They seem to fall into their own category, somewhere between solid state and tube. Finding a preamp that is satisfing has been difficult. Some active solid state preamps can be very good but they seem to inject grain to some degree in the upper registers and some tube preamps are not too far behind. So far I think they should at least be matched up with an amp that has sufficient gain which is often overlooked. Which passives are you using and with what amp? Why do you like them?
phd
The manual for the RM-10 has a nice discourse on cable voodoo, not to mention ground loop hum.

I'm going to finish building my passive today. Sanded down, drilled all holes, and painted the chassis yesterday. Today its plugging in parts and wiring. Hopefully by tonight I'll have a new passive to try out.
Anthony, I may have missed it, are you building a resistor attentuator? With balanced connections?
Paul,

Transformer based using Electra Print nickel core copper wound transformers. I was going to do balanced, but single ended for now until its fully tested (just easier to start). If all goes well I may build some more and sell a few here and there.
Put me on the list. Will you call it the Clio9? Not a bad name for a preamp.
Speaking of passives, has anyone had the chance to compare the SMc VRE-1 with the First Watt B1 - no gain, buffered "passives"?