Who is using passive preamps and why?

Seldom has there been any discussions on passive preamps in the forums and although my experience with them has been limited I have found them so far to be very enjoyable and refreshingly different. They seem to fall into their own category, somewhere between solid state and tube. Finding a preamp that is satisfing has been difficult. Some active solid state preamps can be very good but they seem to inject grain to some degree in the upper registers and some tube preamps are not too far behind. So far I think they should at least be matched up with an amp that has sufficient gain which is often overlooked. Which passives are you using and with what amp? Why do you like them?
phd
People that appear to have drawn conclusions about passives without considering the critical issues - the impedances & voltages involved - haven't drawn meaningful conclusions.

A well-known member here could not find any active better than his Placette Passive until he got to the $18,000 DarTZeel. I believe he tried a great many. I think at the time he had the Placette most or all other components in his system were 10-20x as expensive as it.
Post removed 
Probably what made a passive TVC successful in my system is that the CDP has less than 100 Zout (impedance) and doubles to 4.2V with XLR cables. Enough bass to rattle the neighbor's windows and party level SPL's (my normal listening volume) at half way.
Paul is correct. Those who dismiss them as wimpy and lacking dynamics and bass simply don't know what they are talking about. That may have been their experience with them but that isn't the fault of the passive, it is the fault of the people trying them with other components they weren't well suited for and not knowing enough about the principles involved to solve the problem. Hook up a high impedance source to a low impedance passive into a low impedance amp and you get wimpy. Do it right and you get world class sound.

Here is the ugly truth about about preamps...the volume control inside all of them, active or passive, is a passive device. It is either an inductive voltage divider like a TVC or a resistive voltage divider like a potentiometer or stepped attenuator, but they are all passive. An active preamp adds a buffer stage so it mates well with a wider variety of equipment than the voltage divider by itself. If you choose wisely as Paul states, paying close attention to the source that's driving it and the amp after it then you don't need that buffer and you get glorious results with world class dynamics and bass. In fact, it is better than an active because you've taken out an unneeded gain stage.

Active preamps are for those who can't figure out what it takes to integrate a passive into their system, their source can't drive the amp loud enough so they need more gain, or they simply are trying to use a passive with components they will never work well with. Yes, you limit your choices for other components but there are plenty out there that mate beautifully with a passive.

Like I said earlier nothing has been said here that hasn't been said before.

Active preamps are for those who can't figure out what it takes to integrate a passive into their system,...

While this statement does apply to some, I do think there are those out there that just prefer the sound/coloration of tube preamps or other active preamps for that matter. No harm, no foul. Right now I'm playing with a Berning Mico ZOTL as a preamp and do enjoy the sounds of the various 6SN7 tubes I'm rolling with it. I also enjoyed my time with a Jeff Rowland Capri. Overall, I still prefer both my passives, but I can see why some might just prefer an active circuit.

Some passives include an active buffer stage to solve potential mismatch issues. The SMc VRE-1 and Pass B1 come to mind. Both are fine preamps and an alternative for those whose systems might not be passive friendly.