Best Amp for McIntosh sys.- MC252, MC402, or MC501

I am upgrading a system that I have for about 40 yrs. Recently purchased a MCD301 sacd/cd player, MR85 tuner, and Paradigm Studio 100 series IV speakers. Still have C26 pre-amp and MC2505 amp (both recently serviced by MAC). I am happy with the sound but am afraid the days of shipping the amp back and forth for service are limited. The spks are rated "Suitable amp power range 15-350 watts" and "Amplifiers that exceed-power range are recommended". I don't intend to make another amp upgrade and am leaning toward the 501.
golf506
I think the 501s are a step up from the 402 although the 402 is a wonderful amp. I think the primary consideration here is the price difference. I was going to get the 402 but found the 501s on demo for less than the 402 and could not be happier with the amps. Like Entdoc, I think there is a significant difference in soundstage. I really recommend the 501s and think they are the kind of amps you would hold onto for a long time, even when you decide to change speakers. As for the C45, I'm not a bog fan and think the 501s run a lot better with the C2300. That said, I might look at a non-Mac preamp altogether.
If you love mac and look for a ss amp, go with mc501's. They are powerful enough with sweet and warm but clear sound. I had mc352, mc402 and now stop at mc501's.
Another vote for 501's - amps you will most likely keep for many years. 402's are great amps but the 501's are a big step up, they were in my system. They were more effortless as mentioned above several times on my Thiels, a rather difficult load.
If affordable to you, you'll want to choose from the McIntosh amps that have the quad-differential circuit. In power amps, that's MC402 and up through the top of the line. Nothing wrong with the MC252, but it's not quad-differential and not quite in the same league. The difference is quite noticeable, IMO.

Once you decide to choose from the quad-diff range, then the improvements get more subtle. Generally 501s are worth the increased cost over a 402, but a 602 is probably the performance-per-dollar peak. The big jump is going to the MC1201 or MC1.2K. You may not need the power, but there's something happening in that Mac circuit at and past the kilowatt range than pushes the speaker crossover out of the way, boosts transparency and introduces a general effortlessness to music that you didn't know you could gain until you hear it.

Phil
Theo, the MC352 is also a "dual differential" amp - I believe it was the first Mac amp with this type of circuit. The MC252 has a more conventional driver circuit.

BTW, I got away from changing bulbs in my MC352 by purchasing the LED kit that Audio Classics sells. A lot cheaper than a new amp. But if you like the sound of the MC402 better than your old MC352, you made the right choice.