Crossovers, why so few options?

It seems like if you're in the market for an external crossover, there just aren't many options, particularly if you don't want a piece that belongs in a rack mount (e.g. Behringer, Rane).

Why is this the case? It seems like external crossovers would be in pretty widespread use, but the selection is much less than in the amp/preamp space. On all of Audiogon, there are only two or three crossovers for sale at the moment...
rrolack
Post removed 
I use an NHT X-2 between an ARC LS-25 and an ARC VT 130SE with no discernable (to my ear) impact on the sound of the mains - other than rolling off the bass as intended. At all of $300 (sold direct, on a money back basis) it's an easy call to give it a shot.

BTW, I take the sub out signal from the x-2 and run it into an SMS-1, then on into a pair of Rythmik 12" subs. I do this because, in addition to the flexibility limitations of the SMS-1's high pass section that Kal noted above, I also found it (sometimes) audible (I think) and, therefore (always) distracting (Is that the x-over I'm hearing? no. yes. maybe.). Never happened with the x-2 in the chain.

The set-up took me some time and effort to get right, but it produces really excellent results in a very difficult room.

Good Luck

Marty
Does anyone here use an active crossover with a tube preamp? It seems like the input impedance on most active crossovers is pretty low as compared to tube/SS amps; has this been an issue for you in matching the preamp to the crossover?
Bob, I wonder if the NHT preserves the analog signal for the mains. If so, this is interesting. If it adds an additional stage of digital processing before output to mains, I would not be so pleased. Sub out doesn't matter so much (whether there is digital processing).
Rrolack,

My LS-25 is a tube pre-amp. No issues with the x-2.

Cooljazz

The NHT x-2 operates entirely in the analog domain.

Marty