Tubes vs. solid state.

I just switched back to my ss equipment and can't see how I listened to ss for so many years and thought that I had a good system, maybe the equipment needs to be left on for some time.
But regardless of that, the difference is startling. I know that my tube equipment is not the same degree of excellence as my ss, but now ss sounds lean, thin lifeless. Have my listening priorities changed? One thing I noticed; my listening perception adapts to the sound present in the room. As I write this the sound is improving incremently.
Anyone share the same experience??
I will post as I will continue to listen and notice differences.
Ss is simaudio p-5 w-5, tubes are Cj premier 4 amp and audio experience a2se preamp.
Are there ss preamps that will satisfy or am I smitten by bubes I mean tubes.
pedrillo
I was under the same inpression, but after selling my juicypeach and buying a resolution audio cd50 and connecting it directly to a belles 1 power amp it is amazing the detail I was missing and this setup is not at all harsh sounding, I am truly shocked! because I love the sound of guitar tube amps.
Hi Sam, IME the most transparent systems I have heard are also some of the more relaxed, but of course I have heard many systems wherein 'transparent' equates to 'analytical'.

This has to do with the types of distortion the system makes. If the higher ordered odd harmonics are not being enhanced (distorted), **and** if the system is also lacking on lower ordered distortions, then it will be both transparent and easy going. Believe it or not there really are not very many ways to do that: somehow you have to get rid of distortion without using feedback. It can be done, but those that have accomplished it are few.

I think you are right in the emotionally engaging systems also having an 'organic' quality. IMO music itself has an organic quality- the fullness of reality- and if a stereo is violating basic human perceptual rules there seems to me no way the system will be 'organic', emotional and transparent all at once.
Ralph I was wondering your opinion on tube dampers and if you are a fan of them?
Tube dampers work but they have limited effect. You are best off avoiding microphonic tubes if you can.