Tubes vs. solid state.

I just switched back to my ss equipment and can't see how I listened to ss for so many years and thought that I had a good system, maybe the equipment needs to be left on for some time.
But regardless of that, the difference is startling. I know that my tube equipment is not the same degree of excellence as my ss, but now ss sounds lean, thin lifeless. Have my listening priorities changed? One thing I noticed; my listening perception adapts to the sound present in the room. As I write this the sound is improving incremently.
Anyone share the same experience??
I will post as I will continue to listen and notice differences.
Ss is simaudio p-5 w-5, tubes are Cj premier 4 amp and audio experience a2se preamp.
Are there ss preamps that will satisfy or am I smitten by bubes I mean tubes.
pedrillo
Argyro is completely right. There are tube preamps that go down to 1 Hz and can pass a 10Hz squarewave without measurable tilt. IOW, as good as any solid state. Hum has nothing to do with either tubes or transistors- that points to a setup problem, a malfunction or a cheesy design.
The 'best' of both technology are converging with gaps closing in very rapidly today. Best attributes of each are pretty much present in either, differences are minute--if any. So imo, given the right choice of gears and proper system synergy one could easily live happily with either--with both seemingly striving toward the more neutral, live, musical camp. Unless of course when comparing classic tube sound and SS of yore, then taking preferences of one over the other more relevant.
"Best attributes of each are pretty much present in either, differences are minute-"

That's arguable but since "Best attributes" is pretty subjective...

While I agree, in general, that the gap is closing between tube and SS is in many modern designs, I think the degree of closure is greatly influenced by tube type, eg. 300b, EL34, KT88.
I have played classical violin for years, listened to live unapplified music and applified music. Jazz, Rock, R&B, classical, etc. One first must have a good idea what the music is suppose to sound like, and even then, you don't know how it was recorded, the mikes, setup, equipment, patch boards, etc. There are so many ways to screw up a recording. I switched a while ago to an Audio Research REF 3 Pre-amp from an Audio Research SP-11. The SP-11 retubed was wonderful. The REF 3 is magic. The SP-11 was very forgiving of bad recordings. Great music, but bad recordings. The REF 3 didn't forgive anything. Many of my older CD's sound like crap now. But, the better recorded CD's are absolutely wonderful. go figure. I run an Sota Saphire TT, with SME IV arm and Blackbird cartridge, into a Audio Research Phono Stage, then to the REF 3, then to AR VTM 120 monos for the upper panels of my speakers and also to a wonderful Mark Levinson ML3 Amp for the bass drivers, all driven through an electronic crossover, which I just bought replacing my passive crossovers. So, as you can see, I am going from tubed pre-amp, to a solid state crossover, to tubed amps and a solid state bass amp. No way do I now have tube sound exclusively or SS exclusively. My point is do whatever you can to get realistic reproduction of the electronic signal and again, if you can sit for hours listening without fatigue and not feel as if something is wrong or missing, then you are there. Or pretty close.

It is great reading your posts, you people know your stuff. Enjoy
What is the ultimate goal of any design, SS, or Tube? Is it not the uncolored and neutral/faithful reproduction of the original recording?
I will argue that any well engineered, well executed design will accomplish this goal. Tubes, as well as solid state designs, are equally capable.
In a press release a few years ago from McIntosh, the statement was made that their SS gear was superior to their tube equipment.
I own tubes, as well as SS. They are both very good.