Dynaco PAS 2 value and difference to PAS 3?

I have an opportunity to buy a Dynaco PAS 2 but wonder how much it is worth. It is stock and works fine. Just looking for a rough estimate.

Also what is the difference between it and the PAS 3(X)?

thanks for any information

Phil
128x128philjolet
Emorrisiv, the PAS can drive our amps just fine!

There is a way to eliminate one coupling cap in the phono circuit. I usually build a new line stage as well- one that has no feedback. I usually retain the original power transformer (if the mods don't fit in the original chassis then you might as well start from scratch...). We also have a tiny high voltage regulator that does amazing things for the sound.

There are very few preamps that will sound better than a PAS if it is properly modified. Its kinda fun to have a giant-killer in the PAS guise :)
Ralph, that sounds like it could be beyond my beginner abilities unless I had directions.I think that the impedance values are kind of weird, but I can live with it for now.Very sensitive volume pot.

I saw that there is a guy that offers new "Spice" designed boards that incorporate 3 tubes on each board. Interesting!

Regenesis and Dynaco Doctor both offer new boards.
Are these updated circuits/caps or are they just replacements?

e
Emorrisiv, some are replacements, others are updates of one sort or another.

Since I don't like the unit to grow into multiple chassis, I keep the original power transformer and supply. That means that the line stage I have for it has to not draw more power than the original, which is important due to the limitations of the transformer.

If I were you I would start with simple mods and see how things sound. The nice thing about the PAS used to be that they are very simple, inexpensive and there were a lot of them. Nowdays they have gotten more rare, but they are still very easy to modify and I'm pretty sure its the most-upgraded/most-updated preamp ever made.
Post removed