Ayre KX-R or Krell 202 with Martin Logans

Looking at adding 1 of these 2 preamps with my ML's. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. thanks
128x128topfinadv
Yet, you must have a sonic goal. . . KX-R is a revealing balanced design with a sound that is somewhat forward and a little too trebly for my prefs. I prefer very controlled sound with strong harmonic development and without traces of intermodulation on sostenuto multipart treble and complex transients. I heard KX-R twice in a row at RMAF in the AYRE suite, and can't claim it is my cup of Tea. Of course, the effect may have been of the whole system. G.
i do not understand the question. if you have a krell amp and are happy with it, it is a no brainer, 202 with cast interconectors. now if you are considering an amp change different story.
the krell amp i have is not cast ready. It was the last model before they came out with before the cast interconnects. Not changing the amp now because it is part of the home theater setup. Would like to start with putting in a new preamp and digital front end. The preamp would need to have theater pass thru.
I do not find the KX-R to be to forward or trebly but i have not heard it with Krell amps. I have not auditioned the Nagra PL-L but I have heard good things. I plan on auditioning in the future.

I really think you need to listen for yourself with your amp and speakers.
This is an off the wall suggestion. I'm not a fan of many tube electronics but I auditioned an Asthetix Janus last week and I was left almost rethinking preamplifiers. My favorite feature was the ability to invert phase via a remote control. One of the most frustrating audio issues I find is an almost complete lack of concern by recording many engineers to have phase continuity. Another very nice feature is cartridge loading via remote. Again, another trick that can improve some LP playback.