12ax7's to roll

Happy Holidays A'goners. I have a Rogue Cronus Magnum that I bought from Agon. I love it and I'm curious about tube rolling. A very reputable tube source that most tube fans in the U.S. would be familiar with, recommended replacing my 12ax7's with Telefunken 12ax7's. They're really expensive as far as I'm concerned. I'm not wealthy and have kids in college. I could certainly swing it but is there other alternatives that cost less than $230 for a matched pair that will give me a good tube rolling experience? I currently have Sylvanias and I love the sound. I'm just curious as I've never tube rolled in my life.
donjr

Though I've not extensive first hand exp with Tele v other 12AX7's, I'd say the RCA & Tele's are very close in character to one another. One main USA tube vendor personally told me their diffs were very slight, meaning to me unless one has a very resolvling rig, they likely won't notice the diffs.

I've been reasonably well pleased using RCA tubes in several preamp or amp selections. In comnbination with Tungsols, Matsushita, & Amperex Bugle boys.

I've also found that several makes of tubes have a particular voice of their own generally speaking. Amperex's are bold and up front tubes, with all the audiophile needs being addressed. RCA as was posted are more subdued or reserved in terms of detail leaning towards the warmer side of the border. Tungsols resemble the Amperex's like Rotel emulates the Krell... but for less 4$$. tele's have great mids and top ends but their bass is not their strengths.

tastes, combinations of these, the gear too, can and will provide your audio system with many hours of interesting outcomes as you plug in and out various sorts.

you can also try buying some used ones and see for yourself what's up with who, for a bit less dough than buying reputedly new old stockers.

The tube vendor's rep and/or the seller's rep, is more important than the tube in question. you certainly don't want to buy tubes with issues or nearing the end of their cycle... or noisey & microfonic.

Good luck.
Great info and thank you all for the replies. I'm going to take my time and talk to some of the dealers as recommended.

Do 12ax7 / 12au7's last 10,000 hours? I thought I read that somewhere. I have this fear of having a tube go on a Friday night resulting in no music. I purchased a new matched quad of Electro Harmonix KT90's from Rogue just in case.
The Rogue tamed those speakers, correct? I hope you can enjoy the music now. I had good luck with Gold Lion KT-77s if you want different tubes down the road.
I was very surprised with the performance of new Electro Harmonic 12ax7 Gold Pins (not NOS): dynamic and accurate. They were $35.00 for the pair. I like Siemens 12ax7s, very accurate and quiet and I liked them more than Telefunkens
1950s RCA Black plates....Raytheon long plates..Sylvania long plates..all great tubes.Much cheaper and out perform the overhyped Tele tubes IMO