Drill holes in rack shelf to keep amp cool?

I have my first seperates system going and it sounds great but the amp gets awful warm. I was thinking about drilling some holes in the shelf it sits on right under the heat sink to get a little more air flow.

The amp is on the bottom shelf which is only a couple of inches above the floor but I figure it would help a little.

Anyone tried this?

Mark
mhedges
USblues is right... more detail would be helpful.

Anyway, I have a couple of extra whisper quiet fans... if your intersted shoot me an email.
Hi
Just drill some holes as long are not visible. It will not hurt anything and if the bottom of your amp has vents this will help cooling down things. Don`t drill to little, go about 3/4" in a nice pattern.
There are several low-noise DC fans which are even quieter when run on less voltage, at the expense of less airflow.

I've experimented with an old CPU fan running off and 9v battery and it works. Don't know for how long, but it spins it fine and produces a very quiet airflow.
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

The amp is an early 90's Sony TA-N80ES. It is open underneath the heat sink. If you want to see a picture of it's insides go to:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/TAN80ES/TAN80ES-MK1.html

I have a picture of my setup on my system page if you want to see it. It is a simple rack that is open on all sides and the back.

I like the idea of a fan but I am not sure where I would put it. There isn't much room on top of the amp or under it. How deep are these fans?

Mark
Looking at the picture of your rack, I'm doubting drilling holes below would make a significant difference. As has been noted, heat rises, and you've already got a lot of breathing room around the amp. Do you have reason to think it is running *too* warm, as opposed to just warm? John