How to get the system sounding live?

I have just made some changes to my system and feel I have gone in the right direction.
For those of us who are trying to get their system to sound live as in performances with acoustical instruments mainly classical and jazz among others such as folk, what type of system sounds right or closer to live? Forward or laidback?
My apologies for the lack of better terminology.
I just recently changed some components in my system, and now my system sounds so much better as in closer to live, it sounds less forward than before.
What has been your experience in terms of getting that live sound- forward or not forward?
Also I should point out my system sounds better now at lower levels. Is this a good thing?
pedrillo
That's a great description, Plato. I would have not been able to articulate it that well, but I'd have to agree that the idea of separation and (natural) contrast comes strongly into play for me. Nothing will ruin the illusion quicker than congestion and compression. I don't know that I would have ascribed the quality of a more forward or laid back sound to contributing to "live" sounding speakers, but I've always preferred a more forward sounding presentation. My friend used to have a pair of Harbeth's which I found to be one of the most laid back speakers I've heard. Though the sound was wonderful - liquid smooth with extension at both ends and plenty of separation with good soundstaging - I found that they were easy for me to get up and walk away from (one of my criteria for assessing how well I like a system). I think this is just a personal preference though - I just like something that reaches out and pulls me in like a siren singing from the rocks.

That is a very sad comment on where the world has come that home entertainment components are being designed so that you can enjoy explosions while the rest of your family sleep peacefully.
Jax2, it sounds like your listening preferences are akin to my own. I likewise prefer a more forward, dynamic, and uncongested presentation. There's nothing more spellbinding than a sweet siren singing... Being lured into the rocks is somewhat of a downside, but nothing compared to the risk of being a golf pro these days. :)

BTW, when I used the word "explosions," it was only to illustrate a point that others might relate to. It seemed to fit better than saying "very loud sounds." But your point is well taken. There's just so much gratuitous violence in movies these days... I view it as a kind of filler so that the poor screen writers don't have to think too hard about writing a story that could possibly stand on its own merits.

Sorry to stray off topic.
Thanks.
I agree with what plato said. But I am not certain what is it about my present configuration that I like so much. I notice that the sound isn't really less dynamic at low levels, and still sounds live as though I am sitting further back in the concert hall. There seems to be so much more presense.
When using the sim audio p-5, the preamp seemed more accurate and also live sounding but a bit artificial, very quiet and dynamic. This tube preamp isn't quiet.
I took a quick peak at your system and it's difficult to tell what you are using (what is your "present configuration" that you are enjoying?). You have three preamps, including the Woo, and two amps...a couple of CD players and vinyl. It's difficult to know which combination of gear you are commenting on. It is a nice achievement for a system to still sound live when played at lower levels. That certainly speaks well to whatever combination you are enjoying.
Jax2,
Turntable: VPI Tnt heavily modified
Tonearm: Graham 2.2
Phono stage: jlti-awesome
Preamp: Audio Experience a2se
Amp: Conrad Johnson Premier 4
Speakers: Merlin