Integrated SS amps - Luxman vs. Simaudio Moon?

Instead of separates, I am considering a high quality integrated amp for my new system. The speakers I am considering (Verity Audio) are not hard to drive. The two brands at the top of my list are:

Simaudio Moon Evolution i-7 (or the new 700i) vs.

Luxman L-509u (or L-590Aii 30 wpc pure class A).

I have heard theses units in different systems at different dealers, and so not direct comparisons.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Regards,

Mark
toronto416
Mark:

You are looking at excellent choices both. If you are going into this as a hobby where you will continue to tinker and trade, than don't be afraid to buy sight unseen, especially at this level of equipment. However, if you want to buy once and then listen forevermore, lol, listen first, then buy. If you can get the stuff into your house for a home audition, all the better, as that will tell you the ultimate truth: how it sound in YOUR space.

I'm sure, without having constant nearby comparison, that you will like either system. However, they will sound different. What will matter is how YOU like music to sound, ie, immediate and in-your-face or laid-back, forward sounding and bright or deeper (soundstage) and softer, analytical and detailed with pinpoint imaging or lush and full. I would recommend listening to similar speakers (efficient vs power hungry) and hearing them with different amps (tube, class A/B and class A) to get a sense of their sound, and try to determine the "type" of sound you like. Also, read as many reviews as you can on the specific pieces you are considering as they may give you a consensus on the type of sound they produce.

Be aware that by choosing B&W as an option, you will get, as you already have, strong opinions. It is pretty universal though that the new diamond tweeter has smoothed out one of the biggest complaints against B&W: bright or harsh highs on some material. I happen to be a big fan of B&W, and have listened to lots of different speakers. B&W competes with the best, to be sure. It really becomes a matter of personal taste. Like you, I listen to lots of small ensemble jazz and vocalists, and I will say that my B&W Nautilus 803's sound very good to great. However, I've auditioned the 803D and 802D extensively, and they sound absolutely spectacular. The one thing that I like about the B&Ws though, is their ability to sound good across a wide range of music, including more complex and robust orchestral or rock music. And, you can modify their sound by virtue of the electronics. Some people love the Bryston/B&W combo, while others think it may be a little bright. If you can hear them in Toronto, do so and be your own judge. I have heard the 802/3D with lush amps like MacIntosh and Cayin, which I believe (but not sure) will sound similar to the Luxman. The sound was beautiful. I think it would make sense to talk to dealers about system/component matching based on how you like to hear your music.

Bottom line, unless you are an overly critical listener or have VERY sharply defined likes/dislikes, you will be a happy camper no matter what you choose.

Good luck....Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

I have listened to a lot of systems in many audio dealers, and it has been an interesting and educational journey.

I have discovered several good brands that I had not previously heard (Verity Audio, Gershman, Simaudio, Pass, Luxman, Esoteric etc), and a few sacred cows have fallen by the wayside.

I have enjoyed listening to the B&W 803d and 802d, but I am not sure that they are right for me (even though I could easily live with them!). But I keep going back to hear them, as a reference point...

I have also enjoyed the Gershman Avant Garde, and look forward to hearing the Verity Audio Rienzi and Parsifal Ovation.

Regards,

Mark
I am a past owner of the wonderfull Parsifal encore. I have tried many amps with them. The worst match was with Moon gear ( Monn i-5 and P5-w5 combo). Dry and lifeless, at least for my taste, but they sure looked good, about all I can say to their credit. Not sure about the Lux as I have never heard it, but I don't think you can do worse than the Sim gear with the Verity's.
I auditioned the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations yesterday driven by a pure class A Luxman integrated amp. OMG, this sounded magical!