What's the best approach to add Headphone Amp?

I have a wonderful 2 Ch system consisting of Audio Research CD7, Ref 3, VM220 Monoblocs and Wilson Sophias.
I'd like to add a great headphone amp as well for the times the rest of the house is asleep. My CD7 has both balanced and single ended outputs, with the balanced output connecting to the Ref 3. Should I use the tape out from the Ref 3 preamp to connect to the headphone amp, or is it preferable to use the RCA output from the CD7 while the preamp is off? Does anyone actually have experience with this scenario? Using the Ref 3 provides input switching, but also adds a lot of additional circuitry when compred with a straight run from the CD player to the headphone amp.....Suggestions appreciated.
jdolgin
Roole,
Yes speakers can interact with especially open air headphones but technically nothing wrong.
DJs use monitor headphones simultaneously with speakers at the party
A mute switch is very convenient otherwise you don't need to keep your power amplifier on.
I would ask Audio Research first before using the CD'7's RCA outputs. The balanced and RCA's might be tied together.That would change the impedance of the CD7's
output,possibly degrading the sound plus causing other possible problems.I would try the tape RCA outputs from the preamp first since they are made to be used at the same time.
Otherwise,the using preamps tape outputs with the power amps powered down seems like the best option until you find out if the CD'7s outputs are tied together.