Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny
Byegolly,

May I ask how did the LFD compare to the Leben CS300? I have heard the LFD and the CS600 but both in separate systems. The LFD has the dynamics and bass slam while the CS600 made the highs and midrange sound beguiling with its tube magic but seems to lack punch, dynamics and bass slam. Have you been able to compare the two units directly side by side?

Bongofury,

May I ask how did the Leben compare with the Almarro 318B? Which has a sweeter midrange and more refinement, and most important which unit has better bass presence?

Thanks in advance.
Hands down, the Leben is the better unit. Along with Luxman, I think they are the best Japan has to offer in mid-priced gear. (Obviously, the Luxman has better bass and slam due to it being solid state).

With that said, I was really impressed with the Almarro 205 and 318 powering their own speakers. Very musical and organic. Played Stevie Wonder and Dave Brubeck and loved the musicality of both amps. In many ways, I preferred the 205 model. I look at Almarro as a nice entry level tube product, which will run circles of other entry level products I have seen.

Leben sounds a tad more "there" in every category you can think of. I heard it power DeVore Gibbon Nines effortlessly.

I ultimately chose the Luxman because it has: superior built-in phono satge, more compact design, and matching CD player.
Bongo, could it also be you'd have to pay retail for the Leben?
Could you elaborate on the "compact design"? The Luxmans look big (and heavy) from photos, the Leben, which I've actually seen and heard, much smaller and lighter.
Thanks for the insight Bongofury. I listened to the CS600 driving the Harbeth M40.1 and Fleetwood Mac sounded amazingly good. The Leben doesn't quite excel on some musical material with punchy bass and dynamics though.

May I ask if your Luxman had that special beguiling midrange and highs of the Leben with improved bass handling? If yes, what is the model of your Luxman? Thanks in advance.
Ryder, I have a Japanese N100 tube combo/CD. My son lives in Tokyo. I use it in a den where space is at a premium. Incredible sound for the size. I am going to buy their domestic 505 or 590 for my bonus room; I like their products so much. Do everything right--no flaws that I can hear.