Why manufactures don´t burn in their amps and ...

give a good (or the "right") powercord with their amps?

I´m tired to hear "you must it burn in min. 200 hours" or "it will sound better with the right powercord".

It´s like selling a Porsche which you can drive the first 5.000 miles only with 20 mph and youself must look for the "right" tires.

???

Thomas
tje
Ralph;are there any cords that work better with your amps
that you like as a preference;you already gave me great advice on the Mogami balanced cables so I thought I would ask on the cords.
Hi Ralph,
Not to "stir the pot" here, but to simply try and learn something; isn't your discussion largely related to resistance, and isn't that largely related to the gauge of the PC conductors and the length of the PC? Can a power cord achieve the "ability to dump large amounts of current during these peaks" simply by having adequate gauge conductors (say 10awg) and tight fitting connectors? Assuming noise is not an issue, are there characteristics other than the ability to transmit current that you believe to be important?
Thanks for that, Ralph! That's the most concise and clear explanation I've read on the subject.

A couple of questions:

What accounts for a 3-volt drop across an AC cord? How does that happen? Is this an argument for shorter power cords? Is it all in material and design?

Why/how can one power cord dump more current at the peaks faster than another? Isn't this limited or affected to some degree by the power source (the AC), and how that source is delivering power? I think (perhaps erroneously) about the analogy of a hose delivering water - no matter whether the hose is fat or thin or obstructed or not, it will always be limited to some degree by the delivery of the water from the spigot. If the water is being delivered in spurts and fits, the hose will not change that.

Every 200+ Watt per channel amp that I have owned came with extremely thick stock power cords. I think Ralph is on to something there. Power cords are important when it comes to high power output devices.
Power cords are important when it comes to high power output devices.

True. But along the lines of Mitch2's comment, all of the effects mentioned in Ralph's post can be avoided simply by having adequately low resistance in the path between outlet and power amp. Which often may not be provided by stock power cords, but can certainly be accomplished via a modest upgrade that does not utilize exotic materials and construction techniques and cost megabucks.

We have measured nearly 3 volts in some cases. In a 100-watt amplifier that can account for a nearly 50% DROP in power!!!

Ralph -- Can you elaborate on how such a large drop can occur, and if that would hold true just for tube amps with unregulated filament supplies, or for tube amps with regulated filament supplies and/or solid state amps as well?

Thanks,
-- Al