Monoblocks vs Bi-amping

I am considering buying 2 Spectron Musician 3s to drive my Revel Ultima Salon2s. Which is do you recommend 1) monoblock configuration or 2) both amps set up in stereo, one driving mid-ranges/tweteters of both speakers & the other driving the woofers? I would think bi-amping would be superior since the each amp would see a more stable impedance profile.

Thoughts?
brianyoon000
I've experimented with biamping quite a bit, and have had limited success. My first advice to you is if you're buying two amps anyway try different configs for yourself and see what you like best. That said, here's my own findings:

- I've tried horizontal biamping with multiple amps - identical SS amps, and SS for bass, Tubes for mid/treble. None of these were preferable to a single stereo amp (ie one of the amps used in the biamping), and all were materially inferior to a set of higher power mono-blocks.

- I've tried vertical biamping with identical stereo SS amps and have experienced favorable results - but it's speaker dependent. One set of speakers preferred the higher power mono-blocks. Another appear to be optimized for vertical biamping. You really, really need to read the thread that Almarg references - especially Steve McCormack's post.

- Finally, I know nothing about your amps, but have been told by amp Mfg's previously that stereo amps bridged to mono configs will NOT sound as good as running the amps in non-bridged mode. Parasound recommended running their amps in what they refer to as "single stereo" rather than bridged, saying that the power output is greater because the the single channel has full access to the power supply which will increase the rated power by about 30%. "Single stereo" is using only one channel from a stereo amp, and letting the other sit idle. You should consult your amp mfg about this as amps differ a lot. You should also consult your speaker mfg to hear what they recommend (ie high power mono, or biamp with 2 stereo amps).
You gotta take this on a case by case basis, considering both the amps and the load. Not just the minimum impedance but the reactance. For example, I've got bridged Plinius amps with 4 ohm Genesis ribbons but the ribbons are purely resistive so there is no problem. With the Spectrons and Revels, I would think monoblocks would be the better choice. The Spectrons were designed for this and benefit by going into differential operation.
Hey Brian,

Since you have to buy 2 of these Amps and they're not cheap, does it make any sense to look at other high-end Monoblocks, that don't require Bridging, or Bi-Amping?

Rich
"Since you have to buy 2 of these Amps and they're not cheap, does it make any sense to look at other high-end Monoblocks, that don't require Bridging, or Bi-Amping? "

Hey Rich, why to discuss things you have no idea about ???

Spectron does not require bridging or bi-amping !!!! Brian wants to use two of the amps. Eacch Spectron runs very well in stereo mode and it was produced as a stereo amp. Excellent sound. I used it for two years before I went to two amps.

It just happenned that as designed this amp can run also in FULLY BALANCED monoblocks - without a single additional switch or op-amp. it has two phase "in/out" switches - one per channel. No other amp or preamp has this features. At best - phase in/out for both channels. It was done to control phase which on many recordings is simply mixed. I know it because I can hear and I use these two switches extensively - to "focus" sound presentation.

Since you can switch one channel's phase then by sending the same signal into amp's two channels you have on output two signals equal in amplitude but with oppose phases - you continue it to your speakers and that's all. No other amplifier in the world can do it..
Hey Dob,

That wasn't very nice! Let me explain further..., I wasn't suggesting that Spectron requires it.

I was referring to the concept that, he feels he requires bi-amping or bridging may be necessary for his particular application.

He didn't buy them yet, he said he's considering it, can't he consider other amps as well.

Rich