Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Frank Zappa. live at the roxy
Tom Waits. rain dogs
Johnny Cash. American manIII (i see a darkness x2or3 times)
Elliot Smith. From a basement on the hill
Willie Nelson. Stardust, just got this on classic, and have been driving my girlfriend a little mad with too many replays.
Tonight:
Low "The Great Destroyer" (their latest is also their best)
Porcupine Tree "Deadwing" (Dude!)
the Gorillas "Demon Days"
Thomas Tallis Scholars "Palestrina Masses Missa Benedicta Es" (Gimell Records) - simply the best series of Palestrina Masses yet recorded...
Bola "Soup" a modern electronic classic...
the *new* Sigur Res I can't read Icelandic but this stuff rules! Gorgeous.
Ralph, I love your eclectic tastes! To move from Gorilla to Palestrina to Bola reflects broad horizons. Thanks for the lift!
Something's going on in the Jazz LP reissue market that y'all should be hipped to. I've recently picked up a tidy number of reissues of phenomenal late 50's, 60's and early 70's records that have been out of print for decades. These records were originally from many different labels, have all original style packaging, and give no indication of their more recent origins. The vinyl is of good quality and the pressings are flat and without stamper defects. I've been buying them for $7 a piece from my local record store. Many of these are records that collectors have been searching for for decades. A few tasty examples:
•Dave Burns - Warming Up (Vanguard) - This guy was one of Diz's favorite trumpet players in the late 50's and early 60's. He has great tone and intonation. His solos are compact, and imaginative but not showy in the Lee Morgan sense of things. He is also a very fine composer as the two originals, "Slippers" and "Rigor Mortez" attest. The supporting cast is stellar; Al Grey, Harold Mabern, Bobby Mitchell, et al. This is as fine a slice of post-bop as you are likely to find.
•Roy Haynes with Booker Ervin - Cracklin' (New Jazz) Booker Ervin has to be one of the most underrated tenor saxophonists in Jazz history. Everyone worships Coltrane (justifiably) but who out there really sounds like him? I hear Booker Ervin in just about everybody. Roy, of course is well recognized as the percussion deity that he is. "Scoochie" should be essential listening for all modern practitioners of the art.
•Wild Bill Davis - At Birdland (Epic) This one will be a big surprise to everyone that thinks that modern Jazz organ began with Jimmy Smith. This guy could burn! Although clearly more closely tied to Swing than Jimmy, some of Jimmy's more frequently used phrases turn up here. Hmmm. I'm guessing that Jimmy "borrowed" alot from Wild Bill. This is a live set, and Wild Bill's clearly intent on pleasing the crowd (a la Jazz at the Philharmonic), so some things sound a bit corny. Its happy music that I play alot.
As a result of reading Nick Mason's recently released history of Pink Floyd: "Inside Out",
"Piper At The Gates Of Dawn"
"Ummagumma"
"Meddle"
"Dark side Of The Moon" (30th anniversary reissue)
"Animals"
"Momentary Lapse Of Reason"
"Delicate Sound Of Thunder"
Two CDs:
"Amused To Death"
"Division Bell"

'Twas a pink kind of day....