Cloning Class A Classics Continued..

I was recently tempted by reasonably priced "clones" of Pass and/or Krell amps.

Which made me wonder:

If these classic, high end deigns have enduring value, and still compete effectively with the insanely more expensive high end components of today..

...then why isn't someone banging them out on an assembly line, and selling them for the price of dirt, like the Behringer A500 which receives raves in another thread.

Does anyone build or know someone who builds reasonably priced, Class A clones?

Thank you,
cwlondon
They do have patents, you know?

Does anyone remember Nakimici ? I believe they ripped Pass at one time.

Sometimes smart designers do stupid stuff just to see if anyone copies.(This can be very interesting)

It costs allot to manufacture, even if you just copy someone else. Items like the heat sinks are very expensive to produce in small quantities. A good portion of the product cost is the Faceplate/chasis.

Are you planing on getting UL approval and using serial numbers? I've seen some cheap knock-off stuff that does not even have a serial number or UL.
Are those issues of Nelson Pass provides the DIY community with the schematics? Not sure. Though if someone built one of these things without knowing what they are doing and a fire starts.... From what I can tell, Tim Rawson does know what he is doing.
Patents used to have a 17 year life, now its 20 although I think its grandfathered. At any rate, any amp or whatever thats 20 years old is now in the public domain, and anybody can build it and sell it, as the Patent system intended.
P.S. I have several patents, but not in the audio field.
Cwlondon - Finding good schematics of class A is not a rocket science but running successful business is very hard. Not only good design but controlling cost is the key. In addition not only good manufacturing and quality control is required but also marketing. Who will buy unknown expensive product especially without reviews? Some magazines like Stereophile tend to review only brands that advertise with them. It requires large capital to start operation and many years to build any reputation while reputation of Pass Labs or Krell might not be achievable at all.