For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Larry,
Thanks for the tip on the Mahler No.4. I can see myself wanting to get deeper into his work. I do have the Gilbert Kaplan reading of the "Resurrection" on CD that I have enjoyed listening to.
Best,
Joe
I like the Solti performance, but the most accessible recording of the Mahler #1 that I have is the Jascha Horenstein performance with the London Symphony Orchestra, on Unicorn RHS 301. Solti captures the drive and the energy (as only Sir Georg can do), but Horenstein captures the lilting grace and humor and more of the subtlety, while still keeping this a brisk affair.

Mahler "Symphony No. 1" Solti/London SO (London CS 6401)
Those who are afraid to explore Mahler may want to start out with this one. I am not a big fan of Mahler, but I find this Symphony very approachable.
(Slipknot1, above)
Guys, thanks for the brief Mahler primer. I'm ready to improve upon my pathetic album entitled, "Mahler's Greatest Hits". Shouldn't that be illegal?

Rushton, Fremer certainly isn't the only Smile-lover out there, and I generally like Mikey's taste in music. His little "In Heavy Rotation" box is my favorite part of S'phile these days. However, after two listens, I'll still "take the fifth" on a final judgement of this LP. Initially, I hear some nice vocal arrangements, bad sound effects, and sporadic catchy melodies, intertwined w/filler.
Well, back to reading every thread about every cartridge ever written...Cheers, Spencer
Well, I guess I have to crack my still cellophane wrapped "Smile" LP open and see what the deal is.
Jazz tonight...

Jazz at the Pawnshop, the ATR Audio Trade German reissue (so, I'm not a purist - I like this album when I'm in the mood, and I like Lars Estrand and Arne Domnerus. And I like the sound of this single-LP 1980 reissue.)

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, Impulse GR-157 Speakers Corner reissue. Hartman is simply incredible.

Antiphone Blues, Arne Domnerus playing his saxophone in a large stone church with organ accompaniment. It's an atmospheric sound in all respects. Proprius 7744.