Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Vivaldi, Viola D'Amore Concertos, Rolla/LisztFerencChO, Barsony -va, Hungaraton SLPX 12162 (Hungaraton made some beautiful recordings during the analog days, this is certainly one of them)

Holst, Hymn of Jesus/The Perfect Fool/Egdon Heath, Boult/LPO, London CS 6324 (The Hymn of Jesus is a wonderfully powerful work for 2 choruses and full orchestra; Egdon Heath is arguably one of Holst best works for orchestra, but hushed and delicate.)

Bartok, Divertimento for String Orchestra, Barshai/MoscowCO, London reissue by Super Analogue 9108 (another superb Kenneth Wilkinson recording!)

Slipknot - and speaking of Kenneth Wilkinson, the Solti Beethoven 9th is a good example of his work, albeit with a few more mikes than his best. But, a GREAT performance, imo, served very well by the recording engineer.

For anyone looking for this Solti recording of the 9th, it is now available in the marvelous Speakers Corner series of reissues of the Decca classical catalog.
My cat, but if you read the thread under amps, you know it won't be there for long!!
Turntable:

Rodrigo - Conciertos: Andaluz, de Aranjuez/The Romeros/Alessandro & San Antonio SO (Mercury Golden Imports) The composer himself adds a liner note affirming that The Romeros' "...color, authentic musicianship, and virtuosity on guitar...permits them to present truly extraordinary interpretations." (The Concierto Andaluz was commisioned by Celedonio Romero and dedicated to his guitar-playing sons.) All fans of Miles Davis'/Gil Evans' "Sketches Of Spain" need a good version of the Concierto de Aranjuez around, and this one is.

Manfred Mann - Mann Made (Ascot, 1966) The Mann and his band (as opposed to the Earth Band), post-Do Wah Diddy Diddy and pre-Quinn The Eskimo. The best original tune here is titled "L.S.D.", and its lyrics make (what appears to be) no further references whatsoever to what those letters normally stand for (but a band I used to play in did cover it). Also includes a cover of hometown DC blues guitar hero Bobby Parker's seminal "Watch Your Step".

Chad & Jeremy - Of Cabbages & Kings (Columbia, 1967) One of those quintessential '67 albums, with everything including the kitchen sink thrown in, along with a credit line informing us that the whole affair was "Arranged and scored by Chad Stewart" (Jeremy Clyde wrote the songs). If their psychedelic cover pic raiment and love beads don't let you know what you're in for, then how about the song titles that comprise Side Two?: "The Progress Suite, Movements 1 thru 5 - 1)Prologue 2)Decline 3)Editorial 4)Fall 5)Epilogue". Great production by Gary Usher.

Ravi Shankar - Charly (Soundtrack, World Pacific 1968) I really need to see the movie (a Sterling Silliphant adaptation of the Daniel Keyes novel "Flowers For Algernon", which I haven't read either). For one thing, it's got Claire Bloom in it. For another, the Main Title theme, written (but not on paper scores) like all of it by Ravi himself, rips off Erik Satie. Jazzy West Coast session cats galore, like Bud Shank, Tom Scott, Ray Brown, Laurindo Almeida, Bob Bain, Bill Plummer, Milt Holland, and more, all mixed up with sitar and tabla, mmmmm....

Diskolater:

John Coltrane - Coltrane (Impulse!, rec. 1962, Deluxe 2-disk 2002 reissue) Almost literally "Out Of This World". Makes your system sound ten feet tall - which is not incidentally also about how tall this music will make *you* feel (or at least me). With McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, and Elvin Jones.

The Fleshtones - More Than Skin Deep (Ichiban, '98) Only if you can proudly claim "I'm Not A Sissy" anymore! Or don't be and go see 'em live, to get real rock'n'roll again.
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Rubinstein / Beethoven Piano CTO # 5 / Leinsdorg - RCA German pressing - SOA 25038-R/1-4 , 26.35033 (4 lp)

Recent excursions into the good(live music) & the bad(CDs) have taken my attention away from this, my favorite thread.
Small venue shows by both Shivaree and Rickie Lee Jones remind why we're in this hobby in the first place. Amazing artistry on both counts. Shivaree is a definite band to keep your ears & eyes on.
Recent CD hunt reminds me that there's still far too much good stuff not yet on vinyl...a shame.
Regardless, Tindersticks - Can Our Love is serving as the perfect accompaniment for a rainy day. Spooky sounds reminiscent of The Blue Nile, with disturbed vocals lamenting over strings, staccato horns & brooding keyboards. Wanna segue into some dark Joy Division LP, but I don't own any. Will probably keep the mood w/Velvet Underground or turn back the clock to Billie Holliday.
Keep this thread humming, musical diversity rules! Cheers,
Spencer