Sophia II's and Pass Labs etc

HI!

I will buy a new amp set up for my Wilson Audio Sophia II's after the summer. I currently use a Burmester 051 integrated amp and a Burmester 061 cd player + a TW Acustic Raven w/Graham Phantom II arm will be ordered soon

I like the Burmester 011 preamp and Burmester 911 mk3 amp very much, although I have not tested the amp set on my speakers. The price for the set in Norway is NOK 276,000,-

The other options I am looking at are:

- Pass Labs XP20 and XA 100,5 / XA 160.5 mono amps, approx. NOK 210,000 / NOK 255,000

- Audio Research REF 3 preamp and REF 110 amp, approx. NOK 220,000,-

- Simaudio Moon P8 and Simaudio Moon W8, approx. NOK 245,000,-.

- Spectral DMC-30SS and Spectral DMA 360, approx. NOK 230,000,-.

And then you have Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, Luxman, Accuphase, MBL, etc etc.

Do you have any preferences of the amps mentioned. Do you know if Pass Labs XA 100.5 will be strong enough for the Sophia 2's?

I listen foremost to pop/rock/hip hop/electro/jazz/metal/etc, since I am a talent buyer within the festival circuit in Norway.

Thanks for your help.

Cheeers, ToffenG, Norway
toffeng
The XA 100.5's have no problem driving the Sophia 2's to high levels with great control and finesse.

It is a very good combination.

George
I auditioned the Audio Research REF 3 and REF 110 with the Sophia 2's. I was looking for a new amp and linestage for my verity parsifals. I have heard the Sophia 2's a lot and felt that I knew their sound fairly well. With the Audio Research there was great air and imaging but the upper mids were a bit forced and I felt that the ARC gear did not fully take advantage of the Wilson's in the lower base, I have heard the Wilson's a bit deeper, tighter and with more "punch". I did hear them with Ayre and now that was really nice.
HI!

Thanks! I will try to get hold of Pass Labs for a review. It may not be possible as there is only one dealer in Norway. The same with Simaudio Moon. For Spectral I have to travel to Great Britain...

Cheeers, ToffenG
Dvart,

I have heard the REF 3 in the same system I talked about above and did not think it was a good match with the Sophia 2's. As you stated, the upper mids were forced and I also found the overall sound strident at times. There was no emotional connection to the music and I simply found myself not wanting to listen when the REF 3 was in the system.

I know the REF 3 has received great reviews, but I was very disappointed with how it sounded in this and my own system.

George
Hi!

Thanks for your insight.

I will check out:

- Burmester 011 and 911mk3
- Pass Labs XP 20 and XA100.5
- Simaudio Moon P8 and Simaudio Moon W8

Have you any experience with Parasound JC2 Preamp and Parasound JC 1 mono amps on Sophia 2's?

Cheeers and thanks, ToffenG