connectng CD player directly to amp, good or bad?

Some CD players with volume control can be connected directly to power amp, bypassing pre-amp. Mark Levinson 39 and Mcintosh 301 can do that. When I mentioned this to sales reps at dealers, they were all skeptical. They said pre-amp/amp is always better or go for int-amp. I am not s sure. Mcintosh manual shows how to connect CD player to power amp directly and it makes better sense for me since I am not going to have any other source unit. If I need more later, I can always add pre-amp. Is pre-amp really necessary?
icddspllc
You will usually give up some convenience like no additional inputs, and most likely polarity control. Polarity can be resolved by inserting an inexpensive XO like dBX or Behringer. Both have individual polarity control for bass, mids, and highes, as well as Left and Right channels. I prefer the Behringer CX3410 because it also has a sub output. Most of the time this is where the polrity is out.

The Raysonic 168 and 228 have an outstanding balanced variable tube outs.
It simply comes down to preference. I use CD direct to amp for the simplicity, cost savings and great resolution. I may give up a bit of dynamic drive, but honestly I couldn't tell the difference when I stuck a pre-amp into the mix.

If you only need a single source system, try CD direct. It might save you a lot of money that you can save by not buying a pre-amp.

Enjoy,

TIC
In my experience,with my equipment there has always been a loss of fidelity or musicality,if you please,with a direct connection between the source and amp.
My preamp is the heart of my system. An active preamp has a tremendous effect on the sound, IME. Proponents of passive preamps would obviously disagree. In your situation, you could use a direct connection and then, if you can borrow an active preamp from a dealer or a friend, compare your system's sound while using the preamp. Just keep in mind that different preamps have different effects on the system's sound.
I have owned a Mark levinson # 39 CD Player and currently own an ML-390S, I have used both through the ML-326 pre-amp
and directly to the Amplifier. One reason both CD players sound better through the pre-amp is the ML-326S NOT THE SAME VOLUME CONTROL CIRCUIT. The 326S pre-amp has a higher quality volume control according to Levinson. Both the cd players and the pre-amp have "digitally controled Analog l-pad volume controls, however not the same one.