HELP me choose an AV reciever or processor please

I would really appreciate some input from some experts. I currently have a Sony 555ES reciever and it is time to upgrade my system. I also have a Phoenix Gold MX1260 amplifier.

My problem is I cant decide if I should buy an AV processor and pair it to the MX1260 or just purchase a new AV reciever. Currently I have been looking at the Sony 5400es I don't know which AV processor to get.

I really want something that can handle all of the HDMI 1.3 switching. I only want to run 1 cable to my TV. I also like the systems that are able to auto calibrate the speakers.

So should I be searching for an AV processor and pair it with the MX1260 or sell the MX1260 and just by an all in one reciever? Please help I've been racking my brain for a while now.
nsxxtreme
My Heart's not set on Sony that's why I am hear asking questions. I'd like to get to know what new technology is out there by people like you. Thanks for your comments. I'd also like to hear why people don't like Sony. After I look at all then information then I will make a decision.

I've always had a love hate relationship with Sony myself. They are notorious for comming out with there own standards that are even incompatible with there own equipment. But they are also usually the first to come out with the new technology.

If I can find a AV processor that fits my needs and is better then the 5400es then I have no problem buying something else. I would actually prefer it because then I could put my amp to good use. Can anyone else offer some other processor suggestions?

Thanks again.
For many years Sony was "the one and only". Their quality was the best and they led the industry in innovation. But they have gotten to be a very big company, that is very troubled and financially stressed. No one hates them (at least not me) but I don't think that the audio department is what it used to be. (OK I do hate the closed system aspect).

It occurred to me that there is one alternative that no one has mentioned you might be interested in which is a new company called emotiva audio. A lot of people are very keen on their gear which is truly inexpensive. At the moment they do not appear to have a processor but I believe that one is in the works - might be worth a call if you like what you see on their site
I went and looked at a Marantx 8003 but was disappointed that it only had 4 HDMI inputs.

I'm still looking. I know where to get a Denon AVPA1HDC1 for $4500 but that's a little more then I want to spend.
Post removed