Is there life after a KXR? Help

I finally found the ultimate preamp. My own version of audio nirvana. The Ayre KXR. The trouble is I can't afford to keep it. So now I have to find a worthy successor. I'm especially interested in a tubed pre. If it has a great phono stage that's a huge advantage but not required. The rest of my system are Ayre MXRs, and Aerial 20t speakers. I've owned (and liked) an Ayre K-1xe, Levinson 380s, and I've tried using a Wadia system and forgoing the preamp altogether. I intend to buy something used. $10,000 is the top of my budget but I could eek out a tad more if I had to.
mmike84
If your budget is $10K, why not buy a used KX-R. You should be able to get one for $12K or less.

If you go with a CJ Art II, the ACT2, or the CT-5, I am sure you will not miss the KX-R terribly. Or you can get the Audio Research REF3, LS26 if balanced is your thing. All of these are super sounding zero negative feedback designs.

However, the tricky thing for me with any of the above options is that all of these preamps have too much gain for my situation. That should not be an issue for most.
Hello Mike,

Look into a BAT VK-52se. If your funds in the future allow you can have it upgraded to the REX without having to sell. Charles himself has made very positive comments on the sound of BAT based systems. Good luck whatever you decide.

best,
Tom
As an aside, since you have tried both the KX-R and MX-R's, why did you decide to keep the MX-R's and sell the KX-R. Did you consider keeping the KX-R and selling the MX-R's ? The MX-R's could be replaced with the K1-XE.
Some great suggestions above, the BAT VK52SE, or even a 51SE for a little less $$'s. Both work, however only the 52SE has a upgrade path like Tom suggests and the 52SE is a step up over the 51SE apparently...

Also, on a side note, given your phono comment, a Nagra PLP might be really great fit for you...I would check the Nagra option out also