Life without a remote

I am considering a pre-amp that has no remote. As I sit here listening to music, I have adjusted the volume multiple times in just the last few minutes. I adjust so I can pretend I'm listening to my wife when she tries to talk to me. I adjust for different songs. I adjust in the middle of a song. I tweak to get just the right level from my listening spot.

So for those of you that don't have a remote or don't use one - how do you do it? Is there an adjustment period? Is listening more enjoyable because you can't easily play with the volume?
maineiac
I've been living without a remote for the past couple of years. A couple of months ago I started using my IPhone to control a Mac server. Who would have guessed the biggest leap in musical enjoyment would come in the form of a phone. I can look at my whole cd collection (including album art), create play list, have play list created for me, buy songs/albums off the internet, research artists at allmusic, AND control volume. I feel like I went from one extreme to another with no downside.

The Iphone also has the capability to control the shock collar on my dog. Now, if I could just get my wife to wear it. Anybody know a creative jeweler?
To me, the proper listening level is critical. The most satisfying sound can be a surprisingly small band, so tiny increments of change are helpful. It would take a lot of getting up and down, with a lot of uncertainty because it would be hard to make an A-B comparison. Remote control of volume is VERY helpful. Balance control by remote is also useful.

Properly implemented, there is no reason remote control necessarily degrades sound. There is some cost involved in implementing remote control, so, to the extent it means diverting part of the budget, in that sense, it can degrade the quality of a particular component; I personally don't understand why cost-is-no-object designs would not include remote control.
My Remote consists of a Yard Stick [ 4' ] . From my listening position I am able to adjust the Volume and Balance Knobs on my VTL Ultimate Pre . I find having a Remote promotes constant fiddling and less enjoyment .
I tend to listen to various program material in succession (PC audio), and would not want to go without a remote in that each does need to be adjusted according to content and my preference. Without a remote, why, I'd have to get up each time the song changed. That would me expending precious energy I could be using on my couch potato tan. Why I've become so attached to it that I carry it around everywhere with me now like a security blanket. Occasionally I'll try to adjust the volume of my wife with it, but I guess I haven't got the right code for her. I don't recommend trying that by the way...if you do, be subtle about it..don't point the damn thing at her as that's a dead giveaway. Start out with the remote in your pocket and see if that works. Once I went out and forgot my remote and didn't realize it till I was far from home. Have you seen that Michael Douglas film, "Falling Down"? Well the scenario was not unlike that. Friends don't let friends go remoteless. Oh, and be sure to have a good stock of AA's in your fridge.