Life without a remote

I am considering a pre-amp that has no remote. As I sit here listening to music, I have adjusted the volume multiple times in just the last few minutes. I adjust so I can pretend I'm listening to my wife when she tries to talk to me. I adjust for different songs. I adjust in the middle of a song. I tweak to get just the right level from my listening spot.

So for those of you that don't have a remote or don't use one - how do you do it? Is there an adjustment period? Is listening more enjoyable because you can't easily play with the volume?
maineiac
If you ditch the remote, prepare to be frustrated.

Further, has anyone found a consistent performance superiority with all non-remote preamps or integrateds? i.e. every amplification scheme without a remote has consistently performed better than all with remote?

I have not found that to be the case. Ergo, the remote is not lethal to ultimate acoustic performance or listening enjoyment.

Application: It's back to the classic, "Every piece has it's own benefits, limitations, and unique sound, which if placed into a system will ideally perform in perfect conformity with its capabilities."

OR, my alternate answer:

You won't die; it'll just feel like it. ;)
It can no longer be done. We have evolved too far beyond the caveman days of no remote.
I've never had a remote volume control in my system, so perhaps this is why I don't find this an issue. Then again, I live with vinyl as my primary source, so...
It can no longer be done. We have evolved too far beyond the caveman days of no remote.
Have the rack next to the listening position. All of the pre's that I've had(Yamaha C-2, Sumo Athena, Blue Circle BC3/BC3000 and Hovland HP100)have all been manual. The Blue Circle's are dual-mono with two volume controls to add to "salt-to-the-wound".
You got used to getting older and not "hitting one out the ballpark" every night. You'll adapt.