Luxman Class A Integrated Slight Buzzing Noise

Hello--

I just purchased my first class A amp--a Luxman 550ax--from an AG member recently. I noticed this morning that when I get close to the amp while it is turned on there is a slight buzzing noise coming from the unit. If looking directly at the top of the unit it seems to be coming from the right middle of the unit. Doesn't seem to affect anything with my Harbeth speakers and I only hear it from a couple feet away. I was wondering if this is normal for a class A amp. Anyone with a 550 or 590 have this issue? Any ideas what could be causing it? I have it plugged into a Richard Gray 400 Power Center using the stock Luxman two prong JPA1000 polarized power cord.

Sources are a PC connected USB to a Fostex HPA8C DAC connected to the Luxman with Transparent Audio Link 100 RCA cables.

Thanks,

Dave
ddinkel
Deedo: I just noticed you purchased the 590ax from another Audiogon member. Did the 590ax hum for this person?
No I didn't but Dave who started this thread bought his 550AX from another Agon member. My 590AX was brand new so it requires running in, possibly the buzz will soften as the amplifier plays in i.e. the transformer laminates will physically settle in due to the oscillation? there is no mention of this in the manual though, but hopefully this does happen.
No I didn't but Dave who started this thread bought his 550AX from another Agon member. My 590AX was brand new so it requires running in, possibly the buzz will soften as the amplifier plays in i.e. the transformer laminates will physically settle in due to the oscillation? there is no mention of this in the manual though, but hopefully this does happen.
Sounds like a DC offset on your power line. This article/review should be very informative. http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2015/03/how-to-fix-dc-offset-and-transformer.html?view=magazine Don't bother following the wikihow link in the article. It is about DC offset in an amps output which is an entirely different thing.
It's the design of the Luxman Transformer. I have a 1968 Richard Allen (Sugden) A41 Pure Class A amplifier, the worlds first Pure Class A production power amplifier, which utilises an EL transfomer. It doesn't buzz, so why does the DC offset on my mains not affect this 47y.o. amp? For one the transformer's physical size/weight, at least, in comparison to it's 10 watt output is overkill, the Luxman on the other hand has a disproportionate sized EL transfomer, regardless of material quality or design technique, I suspect, in relation to the 580VA or so that Luxman's 590 amp demands of it, hence possibly a higher propensity for Magnetostriction occurrence. The Luxman integrated Class A (note: not Pure Class A) amplifiers sound pretty amazing, but the modular/plug+play build makes me wonder where the tangible value these amplifiers are. I'll add as a final point, why do Moon (a relatively young amplifier firm), Sugden (around 35 years after Luxman began), Audion (a valve amp manufacturer that use both EL and Toroidal transfomer's in their designs) and Krell amplifiers not buzz the way my Luxman does? I believe the answer can be found in my earlier post concerning Magnetostriction, which can be controlled for the most part by transfomer design.