Being given 2 custom systems but what to ask for?

I am a total newbie who is in WAY over her head. I am going to receive some non-cash compensation as part of a huge settlement. I thought that I'd request some nice audio equipment and am just realizing that this doesn't mean buying the most expensive thing at Big Box store. I want one stereo system for playing cassettes, albums, and CDs and one 7.1 surround sound system for playing back DVDs. I was hoping that people could respond with systems of each kind in price echelons of under $10k, under $25k, and under $50k. The catch? I need to FULLY specify each system, and it's the details like cables, line conditioner, stands, etc, that lost me.

Due to post limits, please ask me clarifying questions as needed.

Thank you!
carrie40
For your 2 channel system what kind of music do you like to listen to; also what size is the listening room and enviroment like?
As far as the negative trip to the audio store, I would go to another;also if there's a audio club in the town/city that you live in I would check into that for information from club members and help; thats how I got started in Mpls,Mn.
So does anyone else think this was a troll? I kind of suspected it all along - How many fantasies are touched on here? A woman entering a predominatly male group for assistance, a completely inexperienced woman admiring us for our knowledge, the sudden ability to get a high end system beyond your wildest dreams. And she asks about the most controversial things - cables and tweaks. And why a "non-cash compensation" in which she has to specify everything? I could be wrong, but I'm wondering what others thought. If this was a troll, I think we handled ourselves quite well, and didn't take the bait.
In a sense your like Little Red Riding Hood (and I mean this in a very positive way) walking through the dangerous forrest. That said, if you can find a professional who doesn't market equipment you'll probably end up with a fine system that compliments the rooms your working with.

As a professional Double Bassist I can tell you it's extremely rare to find tubed equipment in the playback chains of both pre and post production facilities. The use of tubes in microphone preamplifiers is common in the recording environment. You, being a novice, the maintenance involved with tube equipment should be a consideration.

Separate Home Theater and two channel playback is so much more flexible with a family. For HT I suggest a modern receiver with the latest 7.1, room correction, HDMI 1.3, driving seven matched speakers at least 90dB sensitivity. Separates are nice but save your budget for the two channel system. I find the Velodyne DD series subwoofers to be the most flexible in dealing with room correction. For a display, Pioneer Kuro or Elite plasma period. I recently upgraded my HT within a relitivly small space and added two speakers for the 7.1 and room correction, the difference is worth it.

For two channel buying components from venerable honest quality manufactures is the way to go. In the end the speakers are the instruments of the audio chain. Spend as much as can on the speakers in both systems. I can only recommend components that I've had personal satisfaction with in my home. The speakers I'd suggest are all dynamic systems (my preference) from Avalon Acoustics, Thiel, and Vandersteen. You may enjoy the presentation provided by panel speakers.

For electronics I have recommended Ayre in the past, a great company that hasn't been bought and sold, nice people, and wonderful support. LP player, Well Tempered classic if you can find one and some one who can set it up for you. The quality of the cartridge should be in line with the amount of LP listening you do. Digital playback, now this is a great place for tubes in the output stage or DAC.

These are my subjective suggestions based on my personal experiences which are limited. I struggled for years with products that simply sounded great in a store yet never became satisfying at home let alone what I heard in the studio. My acquaintance with a few audio professionals in both recording and film industries has lead me to my current systems which have become better than I expected. While each component has its place in the entire system my Avalon Eidolon speakers were the most substantial improvement overall. These speakers always sounded sleepy to me in stores. It wasn't until I lived with them for a week or so that I understood their strengths. When auditioning speakers they should sound equally well at low volume without the bottom dropping out, as they do at normal to realistic listening levels.

After all this proper setup of the two channel system is critical. This is an area a professional would be of great value.

Happy shopping.
I'd suggest you check out-- WWW.FMACOUSTICS.COM. --Browse through their fairly informative website prior to deciding on anything else. Some issues which you've brought up such as--cable matching, system synergy, equipments' value (as in quality and resale etc.etc.) are pretty much covered there. As the outlay for their gears are quite substantial (depending on how far you want to go), think of them as a once in a lifetime investment--but a wise and sound one I must say..

Next is to choose a good source as per your choice and requirement, then figure out speakers that will work best in your room. Depending on your taste and listening biases, you can't go way off with any of the better offerings from Kharma, Magico, Sonus or Wilson for that matter. Or Magnepan, Martin Logan if you opt to go planar.

Running along the above guidelines, IMO, you'll have a damn good set up by any standard. One that is not only rather immune to the usual phile upgrade bug, but will also provide you with many many years of hassle-free listening pleasure! Sorry can't be of help re your second system though. Anyway, goodluck and have fun in your search!