Powerful Tube Amp for SF Strads?

I am looking for recommendations for a powerful tube amp for my Strads. A powerful tube amp which truly excels at palpability, musicality but also has very good bass control (though bass control is not as 'mission critical' to me as palpability).

My current amp (see below) sounds great to my ears!...but runs out of steam much too soon.

My system today:

Zanden 5000S DAC
CJ Act 2
CJ MV60 (EL 34 tube)
SF Strads (4ohms, 92db sensitivity though impedence does dip to 2.5ohms)
Velodyne DD-18 (run in parallel)
Transparent Ref/Ref XL cabling throughout
Purist Audio Dominus PC

In addition to recommendations, any thoughts are welcome on Wavac, Audio Note, Zanden, VTL, CJ LP275...or monoblocking MV60 (EL34)? Thanks!

Lloydelee21
lloydelee21
Lloyd - what is the latest in the amp serach ??

I saw in the flesh the Gryphon Colosseum and it was gorgeous!!

perfect match for my Strad's, aesthetically at least - same slim Strad shape

trying to get to listen to it next week at home if the dealer wil come around. not sure if it will satisfy my liquid tubes needs in the mids and upper frequencies

Hi Downunder!

Great to hear from you!...cannot wait to hear your impressions of the great Gryphon.

I have spoken with Schorly, Mihalis both of whom I know personally, and also a major hifi store owner here in London with whom I've bought most of my system. Independently, they seem to agree. Colosseum is cleaner, more transparent...Antileon is darker, perhaps warmer. I am considering an even older model which is rumored to even be a tad warmer/darker. Everyone has loved the Antileon and I am leaning towards it.

Because I have Zanden DAC and CJ Act 2 pre, the more I listen to SS vs Tube, the more I realize that my 50watt CJ is not controlling my Strads nor giving me the dynamic range these speakers are capable of. Though I did not like the Krell Evo 402 mid or upper, I realized how much power/dynamics these speakers can deliver.

I have a lot of warmth from DAC and pre...so while I could look to Wavac or Unison Research or ARC Ref 210, I am going to go SS but Class A SS...Gryphon, trying to hear Vitus. Please post your 'review'!!! Lloyd
Lloyd. I like darker/warmer better than cleaner, more transparent so you are making me lean much more towards Antileon.

You can still buy the Antileon in the Gryphon range ?
Hi Downunder,

I would be very surprised if our respective tastes in sound quality were not quite similar. Each of our entire systems share a very similar lineage/DNA. No surprise, I am inclined to agree with your statement above...though auditioning is of course the only way to know for sure. Mihalis favors a cleaner sound than I do...he is full Gryphon set-up.

Yes, I am under the impression that the Antileon Signature is still available. I spoke with Gryphon in Denmark. Basically, in 95 Gryphon came out with the DM100...100-watt Class A, dual mono 200lb amp...same chassis as today's Antileon Sig...the second generation of this amp was called the Antileon...also 100-class A. Then came the Antileon Signature...150-watt Class A...300 into 4ohm...600 into 2ohm...1200 into 1ohm, 2400 into 0.5ohm and peak 5000 into 0.5 ohm. Whew!
I was told by friend who auditioned Antileon Sig with Strads (and whose favorite amps for strads til then was Tenor/Wavac) that Antileon Sigs with Strads were 'bar none' the best sound he has ever heard. Period. He said it hit all the marks...warmth, speed, real life soundstage, power...iron fist in velvet glove...etc. Let me know what you hear for yourself! Would appreciate hearing your opinion as always!
Oh, BTW...you want to go to Ultra Audio website...Jeff Fritz reviewed the Antileon Signature back in '04 when it first came out...he used terms like "colors/tonality"...'tube mids/uppers and SS bass'...note in future reviews of other amps, he also looked back on the Antileon Signature saying 'it had an analog sound I missed when it was gone...". Hope that helps!