Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Newbie,

The Carver c-6 pre-amp in my system is SS but provides two separate preamp outputs: one "SS" and one "tube". Each is voiced differently. The "tube" voicing does in fact sound more tube like than the SS and that is the one I tend to use. I find it does add a certain additional harmonic richness to the sound more in line with what I hear and like with better tube systems I hear. I find adding that to the mix with the Ohms does have a positive effect that one might say makes things more holographic, but to me it is a different thing that adds to the mix in a unique way. Together, the end holographic effect is outstanding.

That has lead me of late to strongly consider trying a real tube pre-amp, something like a VTL perhaps.

I think holographic is a vague term that different people will associate with different things to suit their purpose as you point out, which is certainly true.

But I do have to point out that I think that your assertions that omni speakers cannot be holographic due to their nature goes against the reality that one can plainly hear for themselves if interested.

One thing for certain is that tube power amplification and most omni designs do not work well together due to the inherent power demands and difficult loads most omni designs like MBL and Ohm have.

The reality here is that tube lovers need not apply for most omni speaker designs. But that won't stop the omnis from achieving their inherent holographic imaging nature.
Holography in my experience is only present in the best recordings....it is especially present in a live broadcast. It is dependent on speakers,amps, and cabling. Under the best conditions the speakers are transformed into perfect air pumps where the sound is effortless. Like coming out of thin air...everywhere and you are transported to the actual venue. I have experienced this with my Vac Renn Amp. Speaker placement,extremely clean power and a cabling synergy are needed I think to acheive this level but if it's not in the source it won't be produced.
Mapman, if it is true that "holographic imaging" is in fact "bloom", why do I hear this very often with tube amps and not with solid state? Either solid state or tube should be wrong then?

Chris
Some seem to think bloom may be one form of holographic imaging that is more associated with tubes, but I think only that not all holographic imaging is bloom. Holographic imaging can occur with or without tubes.

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what bloom is. I've just heard people refer to it as adding some additional aspect of dimensionality to sound when present. Personally, I am somewhat ambivalent regarding bloom, though I do like the sound of good tube systems when I hear them.

Can you explain what you mean by either solid state or tube should be wrong then? I'm not sure I understand.
Mapman, what I mean is: if one way of reproducing music is different than the other, then either both ways are wrong or one way is the correct way.
Example a solid state amplifier has less bloom with a particular recording while the tube counterpart has plenty of bloom and harmonic richness --> which one speaks the truth?

Chris